Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVAYA VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohn8210

Technical User
May 26, 2004
GB
I'm looking to install Avaya IP office 412 with a VCM 24 and 50 IP Phones

Question

What POE switches would you guy's recommend for such an installation and possibly VLAN to seprate Data and Voice Traffic

We've just completed our first install with a VCM 24 and 74 IP Phones. We used 3com 4500 PWR switches. We didn't implement VLAN's as time was tight and I wasn't confident we could do it in the time we had. It's working really well but we're running out of IPs and need to look VLANs!

Rob

i have used the same switch as robwalker and have had no problems. 3comm is one of the less expensive POE Switches out there. I'm sure you could buy something more expensive like an Extreme or something like that, but 3comm has not caused any problems for me.

Thanks guys

from my mitel stuff becuase i was looking into getting trained on it they reccomend HP Procurves but still lookin into it

I would recommend against NetGear switches. We installed one (forget the model, but it has 24 PoE ports and 24 regular ones plus some other 1GB ports), and everytime an IP Office program sent a broadcast message, the switch rebooted, so we couldn't install Phone Manager on any computer.

The netgear POE switches are a PITA to admin the QOS.
The Adtran POE switches are nice...

The ProCurve switches works very nice as well.

Only thing to look for in a POE switch is how much power you will get per port when connecting the amount of phones you need. Some switches drop in power outage, especially in 48port versions that you can't guarantee enough power to the phones without buying the extra power supply that some switches have.

the hp works great
a customer has a couple off 48 port poe switches
no problems at all

i think the best choise is
cisco catalyst or HP ProCurve

We have had bad experiences with 3 seperate 3com POE switches. These were the cheaper models. They would cause handsets to stop functioning (never did find out why but it was not power related)).

Changing to ancient HP switch (and using plug packs for the phones) resolved the issue. This config has been replaced with a Linksys POE switch. Its works (but is basic in configuration).

We are also considering a similar expansion with a Dell Layer 2 POE Switch. Any recommendations on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back