Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

avaya to sell off ip office ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the bleak picture if true:
To address this, Avaya has focused on the areas of UC where it has market strength -- namely the contact center and small and midsize businesses. However, Michels said Avaya could sell off parts of its business to address its financial situation. He said he expects Avaya to sell its contact center, IP Office and networking segments and remain a services organization.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

After Avaya discontinued the Partner platform (the last of the legacy systems) there was speculation that it would stop producing hardware altogether and become a software/service-based company. Looks like that prediction is going to come true. Can Avaya exist by simply writing software for other manufacturer's hardware? Who knows?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Cisco is laying off thousands too, so it could be time for a change in strategy.

Avaya is really hurting lately. They have people taking forced days off with no pay. They screwed up by killing off all of the Nortel platforms instead of running with the better product.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Another Nortel fan.
I am a IP Office fan but face it : there is no future for hardware telecom systems in the future, it all comes down to server based softswitches in the future.
So I can understand the thoughts on giving up Nortel, Bosch and all other hardware, yes even IP Office as a hardware switch.
But the future will show what survives, there will always be a number of customers who stick to a hardware platform and there still is a lot to choose from in the market. And they all are with more or less the same features etc.
I don't know what goes on in the rest of the world but here in europe the number of sold hardware telecom systems is dropping fast while softswitches or hosted solutions are exploding.
Focus on what customers want and not on what you like most.

I agree with intrigant.

More and more customers want IP only and stick with hardware. One of our customers has server edition and IP500 at the main site only for the PRI because SIP isn't yet available from his provider. He uses ATAs instead to connect analogue devices to IP500 even if the cabling is in place.

Nevertheless many multi site customers like it that they can have the 'small' IP500 at the smaller locations.

Some more years and I think cloud or private cloud will become more and more in place and we will see less local hardware and more centralized.

So VoIP performance management and reporting will become more and more important.

Sorry @Johnthephoneguy but it is actually Avaya adopting the Nortel practices that has been killing it. N-1 compatibility no longer exists, patches are distributed like candy in a 4th of July parade, and any criticism sent to Avaya goes completely unanswered. If they do file for Chapter 11 I want to push to get Kennedy removed.

Hmmmmm, I can name five places this past weekend where I saw new premise hardware based systems installed:

Nordstrom Avaya Aura at Oakbrook Center, Oakbrook, IL
Build a Bear workshop, Oakbrook, Cisco Call Manager
Mariano's Fresh Market Chicago, IL Toshiba CIX
A brand new Carson's Department Store Evergreen Park, IL Vertical IP Wave
Round Barn Brewery Tap Room, Baroda, MI Vertical IP Wave

Are you guys speaking about everything that uses phones such as hospitals, 911 centers, airports, retail stores, or are you referring to the general office environment? Offices are using hosted more, and maybe some retail locations like phoneguy610 said....but from what I see out in the field, I still see premise based phones everywhere....and tons of new IP Offices installed, such as at the TJX Companies retail locations.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

You can pry the IP Office out of my cold dead hands. :)
For my home that is, businesses are going more and more with Server Edition and SIP trunks and have no IP500 chassis for lines at all.
The Norstar was a great system but let's face it, most customers that have more than 10 phones want something else than 80's technology and most sales people rather sell 1 system with 100 users than 10 systems with 10 users. I also rather install a 100 user system because then I hopefully deal with someone else than the owner that wants all the features and had no clue about the IT requirements. Some owners however are smarter than their IT people I have noticed, so before i get all the flak and examples of great individuals, I know they are out there.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back