Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya to Avaya VPN Router when voice networking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo1007

Technical User
Dec 22, 2013
GB
Hi,

A customer has an IP office at site A and site B which he wants networked together. We are going to purchase voice networking licenses but are unsure if we need to replace there current Linksys X2000 routers. The routers do not have a VPN facility so in order for the voice networking licences to work would we need to replace these routers to some that can create a vpn or is there any software out there that anyone has used that is cheap and can create the VPN?

If we need to replace the routers which routers would be recommended? The customer has ADSL2+ and also needs port forwarding for H323 handsets. Would we need a router that has the ability to turn off SIP ALG.

The customer is looking to spend sub £100 on each router so any recommended would be appreciated?

Adsl and SCN is not a good mix, you will get complaints.

Cheapest VPN router that I can vouch for: Netgear FVS336Gv2.

But Cisco 800 series is a better choice, or WatchGuard if you really want a good one.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Ok thank you, I have heard bad stories about netgear and VoIP but may give this ago if it has been used well. There are 5 x H323 9620 handsets working fine over the ADSL connection.

Are you quite positive that SCN over ADSL is a bad idea. Both sites have over 19MB speeds? And there is minimal calls going between the two sites.

Regards,

With ADSL it's the upload side that typically give you problems. A lot of them are under 1Mbps usually around 512kbps steady where we are at. I have done it before with several small sites back to one central site over ADSL. 4 of the remote sites were all the same service provider and worked well most of the time. 3 of the other sites were a mix of providers and at times the voice quality was poor. This particular customer only used it for inter-office calling at the time, so they lived with it. Now they have fiber broadband to all sites and everything is really sweet.

The 336Gv2 is the only one that has worked flawlessly, and the setup is childsplay.

As dphoneguy says, it's the uplink that cause the problem, and the fact that it's a service with overbooking makes it highly unreliable.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Thanks guys, ill buy the netgear. Do you know if SIP ALG can be turned off? as I may use this for some of my hosted customers

The FVS336Gv2 is out of the customers budget? Does anyone know of a cheaper router that can VPN that these guys could use?

Yes, you can turn off ALG (it's off by default).

If you use the wizard for making the VPN, adjust the SA-Lifetime to 86400 sec and apply Keep Alive.
There are pre-configured policies for SIP Trunk and H323, so you should have no trouble getting this going in a hour or so.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Oh dear, that's a $200 firewall...
Show the customer the price for a Juniper, Checkpoint or Watchguard, they should sign right away.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

jimbo1007 said:
Does anyone know of a cheaper router that can VPN that these guys could use?
Those Netgear routers are about as cheap as they come. We use Adtran because the Netgear firmware has disappointed us WAY too many times. I agree with Gunnaro - very easy to configure.

I think the only cheaper option is to implement some kind of open source software firewall like pfsense on an old computer. But if you really want that?

No support if you have an issue...

If the customer can pay for voice networking licenses he can pay for a firewall too.

We have now purchased two Netgear FVS336Gv2 for this customer. I have been advised by Netgear we need a separate modem to connect to the internet and the Linksys x2000 modem/router they have on site will not suffice. Can anyone recommend a modem which will work with the ADSL2+ in the UK with this?

I know there has been problems with people in the UK using the Netgear DM111Pv2 modem, so was thinking maybe I would get the Vigor 120 but was thinking maybe this was too advanced for what they require. They just have two very small 5 user sites and it is a ADSL2+ broadband connection?

If anyone from the UK can also recommend where I can get a modem which works with this from that would be good e.g Maplin??

The Adsl provider doesn't supply you with that?

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Then tell them to put it in Bridge mode.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

No, the routers need to be configured with No NAT. You need a minimum of a /30 network on your router. One fixed for the router and one fixed for your firewall.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

We tend to use Zyxel P660-H for ADSL.

about £25-30 each. Good and reliable. Remember to turn off any external web / telnet access or change the ports they use.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Well, over here Bridge mode is the configuration that disables the NAT feature on the modem. Different in the UK?

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Cisco Small Buisiness RV 402 is a low priced router on Amazon that I have had good luck with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back