Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Systimax-D Gigaspeed XL 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

daronwilson

Vendor
Mar 24, 2002
US
Rolling out 65 banks with new Cat6 cabling, Avaya Systimax-D Gigaspeed XL cable and Cat6 jacks.

Not too long ago, we spent a considerable amount of time being bashed for using the proper stripping tool, that being a ring type tool with a depth limiting mechanism to prevent shiners (going deep enough to see copper) on the conductors. We were told the pull string was the best deal going.

So...this stuff doesn't have a pull string, how do ya'll strip it??

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

I do have a ringing tool for Avaya cable, as luck would have it, Avaya's jacket is very thin and breaks easily with a light scoring. 1 time around is sufficient to do the job. I have found this to be true on their CM, CMR and CMP cables.

Ironically, when that last discussion was going on, I was doing a job where the customer had spec'd Avaya...all 437 cables worth.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

I use a ring cutting style tool with Avaya's cable as well. We did a 32,000 square foot building at a campus with somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 drops... and I remember while testing it out (as I noticed the jacket was oddly thin as well) it cut far too deeply... so I got another one that had an adjustable blade on it, rather than my fixed blade ideal model. I adjusted the blade to be barely exposed, and basically just scored the jacket. Then it was really easy to just barely tug on the jacket, and the jacket came off without any issue.

I like Avaya's Cat-6 products... especially the channels on their jacks.

Daron. I called Avaya cabling technical support thinking that they might make a special tool for their cable. (They make tools for everything else they sell) The best that I can find out is they do not have one. I was told you would have to buy one from someone else. Not any help, but that’s Avaya for ya.

Mikey

Ringing with a tool (not your snips) and using the rip cord and cutting removing the excess jacket are both acceptable. I prefer the use of a ringing tool, exclusively for 4 pair horizontal, while other types of cable may dictate the use of a ringing tool and the rip cord. The ringing tool scores the jacket evenly and quickly, whereas with a rip cord, you have to take more time with snips if you want uniform cuts. Maybe at the work area outlets, you don't care about this much detail. Still it's preference.

Jeff

As for not having a pull string. I've known that Avaya cable doesn't have one, that's why I avoid using it. BerkTek had a few runs of cable without a string, but they did put it back in.
And for being the one who was probably harsh about the useability of striping tools, some times I over state my opinion and get a little carried away. I'm sure that there are tools out there that probably work well. I haven't found them, and would be sceptical of them until after repeated use. Plus I like my method, it works for me and I'm quick with it.
What do I do when there isn't a string? Well, I'll just say that it involves a very sharp, small knife, and works quite well, and most importantly, no shiners.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

There is an exception to all rules,if I had to use cable without pull string Iwould buy the correct tool ,but if I were running the crew I would be very sceptical of my crew making the proper adjustment everytime we changed brands of cable ,what has worked for me more consistently has been cutting into the end of the cable exposing the string ,then opening it with the string and trimming it with my snips ,One time we were on a job with 1500 cables and a Rep came around passing out those cheap fixed blade ring tools and telling everyone that was the only acceptable way ,upon discovering over 50% shiners ,I made it my rule they should not be used on any of my jobs ,guess what ,no more shiners. It is what I'm comfortable with ,and it is your perogative to do it the way you want ,but I would think you would have to ride herd on all your help ,to make sure they readjust them everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back