Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Softphone on Essential Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinetintl

Vendor
Mar 15, 2010
US
Every time I look I am beginning to feel like Avaya wants to position the IP Office for the ME market instead of the SME. A customer has an essential edition with about 10 extensions and would like to add a softphone for his home but in order to do that he needs to upgrade to Preferred Edition which I know he is not going to do. Catalyst recommended CounterPath coupled with an endpoint license, you guys have any feed back on this solution or maybe a recommendation?

Thanks,

RE
APSS - SME
ACIS - SME

No he doesn't, just buy the upgrade licence, even though your already there it classes as an upgrade and allows user licenced without preferred :)

Well it took me about 5 minutes to load X-Lite, the free version of Bria 3, and have it up and running on the IP Office and on my PC, let me tell you, very easy to setup. Now I need to try the Bria 3 to see all the features and @ $45.00 plus the EndPoint license it beats $2,500.00 all day long, not bad huh? [bigears] Any feedback will be appreciated...!

RE
APSS - SME
ACIS - SME

Hello so just to confirm on this if you have a R5 and want to use 8.1 softphone licence you just need the 8.1 upgrade licence and the softphone licence then the user can use the softphone application without being a power user ? because I kind of thought that the softphone button was greyed out unless the user is a Power user ?

I have been told by my Supplier this will work just..

Avaya, Alcatel, Panasonic, 3com NBX, Swyx, 3cx
----------
Avaya ACIS SME
Alcatel ACFE

Jack of all, Master of none!

No, Avaya as per usual call multiple things very similar and therefor confusing names, the video softphone requires a teleworker or power user licence, the softphone licence is for the Flare communicator crapness, silly but true :)

Ah ok but my user in the above senario would be able to have basic softphone features ie make a call :)

Just like the above user they have some remote workers and want to just be able to make a call they do not want to spend ££££ on Licences in order to just make some basic calls.

Not played with flare yet oh well here goes!

----------
Avaya ACIS SME
Alcatel ACFE

Got it working relativly painlessly... and it wortks :)

----------
Avaya ACIS SME
Alcatel ACFE

This is all well and good, but if you just buy the upgrade licence you can use the teleworker licence (on essential) and get the video softphone, this means proper levels of integration with BLF etc and it's cheaper :)

Hmmmm I was told was either 8.1 and flare on softphone licence or preferred was required...

Oh we'll it's in and customer happy they only wanted to make calls :)

@trinetintl bria 3?

The other angle to look at this is that the customer might say hey how do I enable the other features in flare and the answer will be preferred and 9.0 :)

----------
Avaya ACIS SME
Alcatel ACFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back