Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya S8710 and Siemens Hipath integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

L33tlucid

Technical User
Jul 9, 2009
US
I am having an issue with the integration of a siemens telephone switch with our Avaya S8710. The issue we are having, is that a group of people, behind the siemens system, is only able to dial our 7 digit extensions using a FAC that allows them to dial out of the siemens system. This is a shared FAC that allows everyone else in the facility to dial off the facility. I am trying to figure out how to tell the S8710 to accept 4 digit extensions (or even 7 digit extensions at this point) so that the users only have to dial the facility's extension, without having to dial from outside their realm. Right now they have to dial 9 digits instead of the 4 digits they want. they are a controller type of area and are requesting this be done. is there anything that im missing in the switch to make this happen? i've looked into the ARS ANA table, the uniform dial plan, the private numbering. Basically any option that i could think of. Please help.

This is only a general lob over the fence because it's a busy day, but I would assume you have some kind of trunk that ties the Siemens to the Avaya. So you would create a route that uses that trunk, probably use a simple ODR that says echoall or something like that, and then go into DPLN (wabe) on the siemens and for all of the 4-digit extensions you want to go to the Avaya just do cha-wabe type=digits 4XXX&&4x99 route= your route num. Then when anyone on the siemens dials those extensions it will automatically hit that route.

That's pretty generic and oversimplified, but that's how I do it for Siemens to Siemens. I have 7 sites set up hub and spoke, and I set up my dial plan at each site to basically say "if someone dials a 4-digit extension that is not local to this system then route it to the hub and let it decide where to send it". In your case, if someone dials a 4-digit extension that is on the Avaya it will send it down the Avaya route, and the Avaya is expecting 4 digits, so it looks at its own dial plan and connects the call. So if the Siemens site I am standing in has X6500 - X6799, and my main site is on Route 6, then I define every other block of extensions in my dial plan on this switch to go to route 6 besides the ones that actually have phones on them in the local switch (6500 - 6799).

Hope that wasn't thoroughly confusing - I sometimes see thoughts but don't articulate them well.

thank you very much for the reply. You did a phenominal job explaining. i understood even though i dont know siemens language. The issue is that my avaya switch is expecting 7 digits and its my understanding that the siemens system can only understand 4 digit extensions.

Well I don't know avaya, but in my world I can take what is coming from the phone company, and I can add and delete any digits I want from that. I have done that before but it was maybe 7 years ago since the last time I messed with it.

Assuming if you are lucky enough that the first 3 digits of all your avaya extensions are the same, like a local NXX number, there might be a couple of options there. I am no expert on trunking, but I understand what I want to do - I would just have to look in the book to be able to do it.

So lets say all of your extensions in the Avaya are like 1234000, 1234001, 1234002, etc. You want to be able to dial 4000, 4001, 4002 on the siemens end. (If I'm guessing correctly). So one option, on the Siemens end is when you make your outdial rule (ODR) you say something like:

echo 123
echo all

Like I said - someone that does this in their sleep will probably correct me, but I know you can insert digits in the outdial rule before the digits get sent (because mine has echo 911 for emergency calls, for example). So in that case the Siemens would prepend on the 123 onto the 4-digit extension that got dialed and the Avaya would get 1234000.

The other possibility is on the Avaya end. You might have general digit translation rules like we have on the Siemens. That allows you to go into the gdtr table and tell it that when a number comes in from this "carrier" (the Siemens) that you should make these changes to the digits. In this case you would tell it to prepend 123 to the number that comes over.

On one side or the other you should be able to do the digit translation. In my case I had an idiot PBX vendor set up a DID number block from the carrier on a different local exchange that overlapped an existing number range that was already in our dial plan. So the external number was 686-24xx, but in our in-house dial table we already had 24xx extensions in use. So I set the new site up for 44xx extensions. I told the carrier to only send me the last 3 digits, and I told the phone system to add on a "4" to any number they sent me. Because the carrier was only sending me the last 3 digits the "2" was already dropped before it ever got to me, so in my gdtr table, for the digit strings 40x, 41x, 42x, 43x, 44x, 45x, 46x, 47x, 48x, 49x I told the system to add a "4" at the beginning.

In 2005 I worked out a deal with AT&T and the PSC of WI to overlay my entire dial plan with a single exchange. Once I did that I used the big PR campaign to advertise new numbers for the site in question and it was no longer necessary to use the translation anymore. That was the last time I messed with those commands....

In the Siemens trunk you can reduce/increase or replace any incoming digits to suit your range.
Ideally you should get a Siemens and Avaya Tech on site at the same time to sort it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back