Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya S8300D server - services port connection 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milan001

Technical User
May 18, 2015
SK
Hello guys,
I am facing issue with brand new S8300D server and G450 gateway. I've inserted the server board into V1 slot of G450. Afterwards I connected DVD drive into USB1 (with the powering USB cord of DVD into G450 USB port) and powered up the GW. It looked like everything is going well (GW started, DVD drive was processing) the VSP DVD). However I cannot connect the server via services port on 192.11.13.16

I know there are a lot of treads with same issue. None of suggested resolutions is working for me (changeing NIC settings, reinsert the server, ...)

Here is my setup.

S8300D server in v1 G450 GW.
Laptop with windows 7 with IP address 192.11.13.5/30 (FE - turned off) and putty client.
DVD drive Samsung SE-506AB in USB 1 port.

I am curios if someone was able to install the VSP using not recommended DVD drive by AVAYA (Like those Panasonic drives)?
I suspect the faulty server or the not suitable DVD drive.

When I insert the brand new S8300D server into G450 V1 slot I can see following status of module. The "Initializing" state is not changing.

G450-???(super)# sh module
SLOT TYPE CODE SUFFIX HW VINTAGE FW VINTAGE
---- -------- ---------- ------ ---------- -----------
v1 -- Initializing --

When I insert into same slot spare S8300D server with pre-installed VSP it is detected by G450.

G450-???(super)# show module
v1 S8300 ICC D 1 1

What exactly means the status Initializing? Another observation is that when I try ti turn off the brand new serer manually, the green LED is constantly blinking and it never goes into solid state. The spare server has not smae problem. When I turn it off manually the LED goes to solid state.

I used three different DVD drives, different DVDs, different USB ports.
I can boot the VSP installation DVD at my laptop with same DVD drive. I used same ISO image to instal the VSP in VirtualBox.
I can mount the DVD drive at spare S8300D. So I am not sure what I am missing.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Initializing is typically bad. Maybe slam it in the slot good and hard and/or test both 83's in another gateway to see if you get the same result. You might just have a bad server.

Thanks Kyle,

I've tested in another gateway G430. Same behavior. I am thinking to return the server. But before I'll do that, I would like to test the compatible DVD drive.

G430-???(super)# sh mod
v1 -- Initializing --

Any suggestions about suitable DVD drive except those from Avaya?
What DVD drives are working for you?

Besides the whole specific type of DVD Drive, also check some threads regarding windows 7. I couldn't use my corporate laptop because of Win7 policies that were implemented and had to pull out an old personal laptop to get to the services port.

Maybe it's a typo in your original post, but isn't the services port @ 192.11.13.6? Not .16

O:) Its just typo. Of course it is 192.11.13.6. Sorry about that.

I've read about the win7 problem. But I even do not get to point with address conflict.
I also tried to set up the speed of NIC with 100Mbps, turn off the firewall, setting the DAD transmissions of NIC to 0.
Nothing helped.

@wpetilli
Good point. I'll try my older laptop with win XP.

have you let the DVD drive charge properly

I've had really bad results when it isn't charged. the USB on S8300's doesn't supply enough current to runa DVD drive. You may have a better go if you use an external PSU too

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

In your post you said the DVD is connected to the G450 USB. To load SP you need to connect the Server's USB port.

Are you using Windows 7? If so, have looked into Duplicate Address Detection? It's a common issue using win7 trying to load an 8300. See the following link for the description and how to fix. Alternative, try a non-Win7 laptop.

-CL

I've used third party DVD drives for many installs and never had any issues. Just like mattKnight says though they sometimes do have to be fully charged before they will work, even though it sounds like they are buzzing away, sometimes they're not.
Plug the USB drive into your PC and leave it switches off for a few hours to gather up some charge and try again.

Next bet would be to download the software from PLDS and burn your own ISO - I've had bad discs from Avaya all too often before. I know you say you tried different DVD's but are they your own copies or Avaya's?

Its quite rare to have a bad S8300D if its brand new. I've never had one and always been able to get it to install, even if sometimes it does take a while for it to load.

Final method which will work but requires a little tweeking - get a USB drive and use that with the ISO on and the USB drive converted to bootable. I'd always go for this method, saves having to always carry a DVD drive with me everywhere!

Oh - One last question, which CM version are you trying to install on the S8300D? If its 6.3 then remember its System Platform first, then CM template on top of that when installed. If its CM5.2 then thats straight on, no issues.

Hi guys,
thank you very much for your advices. Finally I've resolved the issue. It was in my Windows 7 laptop.
I used laptop with windows 8.1 and the IP address of services port was accessible without any problem.
VSP and CM are now installed successfully.

At least some good news :) - the external drives from Samsung are working great.

Once again, thanks.

@AvayaGuyUK...

Can you share instructions on how to make a bootable VSP drive? Avaya documents it very briefly but when I call to ask they said its not actually supported.

Hi Randycarroll

Its fairly straightforward, you need to make your USB drive bootable by Linux, and also ensure its formatted to FAT32. Try this;
That's what I first used on IP Office C110 modules but I tried that on my USB stick with my System Platform ISO to hand and that worked absolutely fine.

One thing that doesnt work is CM 6.1 and CM6.2 via USB stick. CM6.0 and CM6.3 work absolutely fine - installed one last week.

When you say CM6.3 are you talking about VSP? Can you install to an S8300D with the USB stick and no DVD Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back