Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Rel 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilogy8

Technical User
Jan 26, 2017
US
not sure if anyone has heard this, but our BP just informed us of a change of direction by Avaya beginning at the 10.1 release. They indicated they have been made aware via the new Offer Definition and their Avaya channel manager that Avaya will only be supporting VMware deployments going forward. What this means is that they will no longer support other hypervisors like KVM, ACH, and Hyper-V, or even the software-only solution of Avaya applications.

My entire stack is running in AWS via EC2 instances. Does anyone know what the above actually means?

I have not heard that they are only supporting VMware deployments. I do not see why they would not support Azure/AWS since many companies are going to IaaS model/public cloud.

They are trying to build their cloud on Azure so it would not make sense to not support IaaS models for Aura.

I mean, I still see all the 10.x AWS downloads on the support site.

Avaya's own hosted solution runs in Azure so it's highly unlikely they would be removing support for cloud based solutions.

Unless they mean on-premise deployments, makes sense to only support one hypervisor, especially if it's the one they use on AVP/ASP :)

I have a call with our BP and Avaya tomorrow to gain clarity on this, but from what I'm hearing is they really are forcing VMware. Not just as an on-prem hypervisor. Even in AWS, they are going to force you to run VMware which is going to make this so costly. I was told I'd be grandfathered in with support but going forward that's the direction they are heading. I believe Cisco had the same issue, but at least they didn't even get off the ground in AWS before declaring this.

This is actually accurate news. Definitely forcing VMware for new installs but supporting existing and will sunset in the next 4 years or so.

If you want a 'pure' Avaya solution, the ACP servers run VMWare only, but that should be irrelevant when you go the appliance model.

For non appliance model: They aren't forcing VMWare -- they are taking aware the prepackaged options that exist for other platforms. It helps shorten development and release cycles. If you want to install to any other platform, it is fully supported -- just not full stack. It is a software only install, which Avaya has made obvious with the past few releases they are 100% behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back