Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVAYA Partner ACS - caller ID questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakalitus

Technical User
Mar 13, 2018
US
Hi all,

We have two businesses in town. We initially had two Avaya Partner systems. We recently upgraded one of the businesses to the new Avaya phone system which I don't quite have the name of (not VOIP) (I'll call this location 1) and our other business still has its original Avaya Partner system. (location 2)

The one that has not been upgraded, location 2, has 4 Avaya Partner phone modules in our PBX closet (not sure of the correct terminology here.) Anyway, over the years certain extensions have went out and we were having problems with it so we simply took the ones that were being upgraded from location 1 and moved them to the location 2 and I installed them this afternoon. After installing them in their slots, I tested them and all work fine, I matched the wires and lines up one by one as they were on the ones I was replacing - no problem at all and all extensions are so far working fine. I noticed that the ones I'm replacing were Partner and Partner II but were not Partner ACS (which I do know supports caller ID.) All 4 phone modules on the rack are all now Avaya Partner ACS - the only one I have not changed out was the center one that has a hold music aux in and some other stuff on it.

After I install the center phone module, should our caller ID work now? The caller ID worked fine when they were at their original location before the upgrade, but now that they're installed over here we still don't have caller ID. I still have to go get the center module with the aux jack from the old place and install it, just to have it all together. Does the center piece have anything to do with caller ID?

To my understanding our telephone company has caller ID enabled and I am under the assumption caller ID is automatic on the Partner system depenedent on the telephone line. Anyway, any help you could offer would be appreciated. Who would have thought anyone ever taking Caller ID for granted, but when you have eight lines running into one building it's definitely helpful.

the only one I have not changed out was the center one that has a hold music aux in and some other stuff on it.

Sure sounds like the processor module is still a Partner Plus or Partner II, not an ACS (because you would have described 3 or 5 Line jacks and 8 or 9 Extension jacks in addition to the Music on Hold jack)

If that is the case, only Partner II R4.1 along with expansion modules ending with "EC" work with Caller ID.

Post a picture of your control unit for a better opinion

TouchToneTommy, all of the expansion modules are Partner ACS but the processor module in the middle is a Partner II.

In the pic you can see the 2 expansion modules on each side are all ACS and those are the ones I moved over from our other location after they upgraded. The middle one is still a Partner II like you suggested, and if I'm not mistaken the one I need to go get looks a lot different and does include more line jacks and likely is an ACS processor module.

So question being when I go and get the other processor module and install it, will I lose anything besides programming except mainly getting caller ID? Is it sort of a plug and play type situation like swapping out the expansion cards?

IMG_0544_fpl9dm.jpg

Looks like the label on the processor says Partner II, but there is no expansion connection of it, so that's a Partner Plus processor - No Caller ID functionality on it. The expansion modules are 206E and not 206EC (C for Caller ID), so again, equipment does not support CID

Because none of the modules in the carrier support Caller ID, my suggestions would be to upgrade the processor to an Avaya Partner ACS R8 (the final release), and, the expansion modules to 308ECs. This will give you Caller ID functionality, the ability to add either a Partner Voice Messaging or Avaya Partner Messaging, and, add a backup/restore PCMCIA so processor translations can be saved & used to program another processor should the existing one fail.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back