Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVAYA-NORTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs1kbcman

Technical User
Apr 11, 2009
MX
I HAD RECVED INFO ABOUT SELLING PART OF NORTEL WITH AVAYA, HOW AFFECT OUR?

THANKS

Norvaya? Avaytel? Could go either way....what a roller coaster...

Mato' Was'aka

I think most of us are in a holding pattern.

If the sale does go thru it likely won't be completed until the end of the year.

I personally think that Avaya will not keep Nortel products. Truly, if you had a more expensive product would you not sell that versus the cheaper Nortel line? And there goes a monopoly for Call Center solutions since Cisco and Asterisk can't hold a candle to Avaya or Nortel. We are considering an Asterisk for our corporate staff.

True about the holding pattern. I have 2 jobs and handle telecom at both. At my primary job we have a CS1000E and are getting ready to tie in 8 SRGs; my 2nd job had an Avaya Partner system that we are getting ready to rip out and replace with an Allworx system.

I've heard from quite a few of my industry contacts that Avaya will eventually phase out the Nortel product all together - probably within 5 years as systems approach their end of life. I've also heard that Avaya would be stupid to dump the Nortel product. We all know that the only reason Avaya wants Nortel is because of the customer base.

Here's something else I received in an email:

"...there was another announcement regarding the offer by Research In Motion (RIM), the makers of Blackberry, Avaya's offer appears to be an attempt to buy the business at a Fire Sale price. The events of the last few days have now started the time clock for a light at the end of the tunnel. My expectation is that the BK judge will be making a final adjustment on the final bids for the Nortel businesses. The $1.1 Billion offer from RIM was a stifled bid that did not come to light until early yesterday. This will surely not be the last alternate bid, but may push the process out an additional 30 to 45 days. "

I tried to take it one day at a time, but a whole bunch of them attacked me at once!

as i believe it will not be Avaya in the end, look at whats happen to CDMA and LTE bussiness it goes to erricson in the end, since from the beggining we all thought its gonna be Nokia-Siemens but tis not!!!

This whole sorry Nortel debacle is actually a Canadian success story. In spite of thousands loosing their livelihoods and pensions, the executive few at the top have managed to set themselves up for life and will never have to worry about where the money's coming from ever again. From the vast wealth that John Roth made in stock options by wildly inflating the share value, to the "well-earned" bonuses paid out by the current crop of execs, Nortel has been a cash cow for the smart guys at the top.

Now it will sell to foreign ownership for even more payouts and all the Nortel technicians will see the products we learned for so many years die out and be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back