Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Network Regions and MedPro Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

smisito

Technical User
Sep 23, 2010
US
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

I have a situation where anyone using our Avaya softphone applications over the VPN network region, suffers audio issues.
On literally every other call, the softphone application connects to a MedPro board in our California office, causing no audio to transmit. You cannot even hear the dial tone when dialing out. However, if you hang up and open another line, you connect to our core PBX at our headquarters. This scenario is consistently on every other call. This also only happens on the VPN. When I am connected via the LAN, the calls connect to the core PBX MedPro boards every time and no audio issues occur.

Does anyone know how to correct this or set specific MedPro boards to use for a particular network region? I tried to contact Avaya, but they were not much help. They stated I need to pay for re-design work.

Thanks!

On the MedPro board you want to change:

change ip-interface [board number]

Update the network region for that board here and F3 to save.

Thank you PhonesAllDay.
I do not want to change the MedPro board's network region, but would rather change my VPN network region to only grab the Medpro boards in our headquarters.

Or maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. Why would the audio fail when connecting to another region's medpro boards? The audio doesn't come and go either. It's just dead silence. We turned off inspecting h323 packets on the firewall and this resolved some issues were calls were dropping / calls would not disconnect when the user would press the hang up button. This is a second issue I come to find after that was resolved.

Any other ideas on how to resolve this type of issue?

ip codec set mismatch?? ip-network-map issue ??

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

Are you using the latest one-X service pack? Version 2.5.20020.0 came out in May of this year and resolves audio issues like dead air, looping echo, and bad static. You may have a bad medpro as well. Does the phone register to the same network region as the med-pro that sits in California? Is there a second med-pro in that network region? Try putting the call on hold and then reconnecting to see if it grabs the next med-pro. Status your med-pros and see if they're all up with no errors or alarms. We had a bad one that was like playing Whack-a-mole to trouble shoot.

Thank you all for your replies.

I do not think it is a bad medpro board as there are 4 at this site and the audio fails anytime it connects to any of those medpro boards, yet connects if the audio connects from our HQ site.

I am also using the most recent Avaya One X Agent with the most recent patches.

Maybe I need to create new codec set and assign that network region to the new codec set?

Do some basic connectivity testing. Can you even ping those boards from the question location?

New England Communications

For my VPN users, I setup a dedicated network region and then added the IP range for VPN connections into the IP network map. I allow the dedicated network region to "talk" to only the region that has the resources(MEDPROs) I want VPN users to use when on softphone, which in my case is region 1. This also allows me to control what codec they use. Since we have separate voice and data VLANs, I applied the same methodology to the data VLAN IP ranges as well. Using the same network region I setup for VPN.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back