Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

avaya merlin magix 4400 setup

guy10960

Technical User
Sep 5, 2024
I recently had to replace my old phone system due to a major power issue. I purchased a Avaya merlin magix 4400 from a store that went out of business. But I need help with the wiring, I'm attaching a picture for your review.I need to know were to conect the phone lines to.Avaya Merlin Magix 4400.jpg

The telephone lines connect to the eight jacks on the 800 icld board. The very top and bottom jacks are for power failure connections.

I need to know where to connect the telephone lines from the phone company. which card and which port

I mentioned the card...the board marked "800 ICLID". On the front of the board are 10 telephone jacks. The first telephone line plugs into the bottom jack of the bottom group of four jacks, and then work your way up to the top jack in the upper group of four.

The Merlin Magix is not a user-friendly/"plug & play" telephone system. It will require programming as well as knowledge of how the various Call Groups can be configured and interact with each other.

Also, if my memory is correct, the "012" card is not compatible with the Merlin Magix. Support for the 012 stops with the Merlin Legend telephone system. The Legend was the Merlin telephone system that preceded the Magix.

Last edited:
Oh, that manual I looked up had my head hurting. But if you look for the Installation, SPM, Maintenance, and Troubleshooting Supplement and find page 46. It has a picture of that card as talked about above and how to plug it in. Nothing special.

I mentioned the card...the board marked "800 ICLID". On the front of the board are 10 telephone jacks. The first telephone line plugs into the bottom jack of the bottom group of four jacks, and then work your way up to the top jack in the upper group of four.

The Merlin Magix is not a user-friendly/"plug & play" telephone system. It will require programming as well as knowledge of how the various Call Groups can be configured and interact with each other.

Also, if my memory is correct, the "012" card is not compatible with the Merlin Magix. Support for the 012 stops with the Merlin Legend telephone system. The Legend was the Merlin telephone system that preceded the Magix.
Ahhhh... Merlin Magix.. Fun times. Not user-friendly is an understatement.

I recently had to replace my old phone system due to a major power issue. I purchased a Avaya merlin magix 4400 from a store that went out of business. But I need help with the wiring, I'm attaching a picture for your review.I need to know were to conect the phone lines to.View attachment 261
I ripped my Merlin Magix phone system off the wall and threw it away. Go get yourself Avaya IP Office. It's much easlier to administer. You'll thank me later.

Ahhhh... Merlin Magix.. Fun times. Not user-friendly is an understatement.
While not user friendly, the Magix is reliable...at least the one at my church.

I only log into it to switch between auto attendants and re-record prompts as needed.

Outside of that, not a peep.

I ripped my Merlin Magix phone system off the wall and threw it away. Go get yourself Avaya IP Office. It's much easlier to administer. You'll thank me later.
Depending upon the number of users & telephone lines, a Partner ACS would be easy to administer.

While not user friendly, the Magix is reliable...at least the one at my church.

I only log into it to switch between auto attendants and re-record prompts as needed.

Outside of that, not a peep.
From what I remember it was quite a process to swap extensions or do anything else. It was always a long code process. Not as friendly as the GUI's today. Merln Magix systems are job security for guys like you.

From what I remember it was quite a process to swap extensions or do anything else. It was always a long code process. Not as friendly as the GUI's today. Merln Magix systems are job security for guys like you.
Never having worked as an, or for an, Interconnect, the Legend & Magix don't really provide job security for me.

I was a Central Office technician for an IXC/CLEC for 23 years before being laid-off as the result of a merger.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back