Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya licensing is making me grow grey hairs at 26 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloose

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2006
US
Ok so im pulling all my hair out and slitting my wrists, This Avaya Licensing is a damn joke.

There has to be something Im doing wrong I cannot believe Avaya can sell a product without every customer screaming.

Randomly throughout the week, month, year, day The IP403 decides oh hey Im not licensed and decides to invalidate the licensing. Now thats not entirely correct, I dont know when its happening for sure as I am very busy and most of the time im doing reactive reboots and such. Yes I have done the whole plug un plug reboot start services thing and it fixes it... temporarly... Then when the server reboots sometimes it dosent link back up.

Like today for example, The Key server service was red (thats good) and the PBX said Invalid licenses... So I reboot the PBX... Still invalid... ooookay, so I reboot the server, then the PBX, Still invalid so im like ooooooooooookay then I remove the dongle, plug it back in, and reboot the PBX and bam its good again... This licensing is a joke, cant they just have you plug something into the damn pbx? I cant deal with this. Someone please please help me.

Avaya does make a dongle that plugs into the back of the IP Office. You can have your licenses ported over to the new device - from the key server license to the dongle. This should solve your problems.

Ask for a serial dongle it goes onto the DTE port and transferring the licences is free.

ACS - IP Office Implement

IP403 and serial dongles = not supported...

How is the key server connected to the IP office?

Have you set the NIC on the keyserver to to be 10M HD
Is the key server IP address set in the System tab or are you broadcasting?
Is the key server statically addressed?

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

hahahahaha not supported, what is???

Greets Peter

What release are you running on your old 403 and has that always happened or did it just come recently, is the PC and the system connected to a UPS (one that actually works I might add) because power flickers can do funny things to the IPO.
AND I might add grey hair looks sophisticated and there is no doubt about that.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

It's only people with grey hairs that ever say that!! :)

amriddle
I have a full set of black hair (with the odd speckle of grey in it to make me look almost sophisticated)

aloose
I had a similar issue once with an IP 403 and the problem was that the hub on the processor went bad, it didn't answer every ping when I did a terminal ping to it. It took me a few visits to get that one figured out though. And what release are you using?

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Thank you for all the responses, I was travelling for business the past few days and havent had a chance to check the post. Wont Half-Duplex cause our server to slow down others loading files? I am using the same computer as a file server. The server is more than adiquite to run multiple applications. I have never seen the 4 cpu's go above 10% lol. So far the system has been up and runing correctly for 2 days now without any licensing issues, I pluged the server into the Avaya LAN port like someone mentioned on here. I dont know if it will help.

the IPO ports only support half dulex, so it dosnt mater what the server is set too (althouiugh fixing it to half can help)

am i correct in assuming your feature key is running on your main file server?

it is prefered to run the IPO applications on a seperate dedicated pc (usualy VM & Keature key) that way it is not affected by the network load on your main file server.

Double check your nic settings. Make sure power savings is off. The nic can go dormant causing spuratic connection loss to the IPO.

ACS IPO-I

Yes key server is runing on that server. I have never had a problem with half/full duplex in the past. but yes every software company says to run their software on its own dedicated server.

Do you have new switches?
Could try to disable IGMP snooping in the switch.
IGMP filters broadcasts, you could also try to set the IP adress in the IPO instead off 255.255.255.255

Greetzzz...Bas

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Your phone system going funny due to licensing effects you and your customers/clents more than other software companies products going funny though, I bet...so this time it's worth a dedicated PC/server

okay so The server is set to half duplex. I am rebooting the phone system, and the key server is loaded but its showing invalid in the PBX configuration. So what the heck gives. what is happening :(

Did you try to use your laptop/pc directly connected to the ipoffice ?

If it works then, then get a dedicated pc or repair the network
It just not suddenly stops, there must be something changed or broken !

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

yeah im putting to gether a small box to hide behind the server rack with nothing but XP pro and key server installed hooked directly to the PBX and see what that does.

it will at least rule out/confirm if the network is at fault

First, try using a system configuration that is supported before you start whining about it not working correctly. You admit you are not in a supported set up yet you blame the issues not on yourself. Get it set up properly, and your issues will go away. Also, get your PA on the product before you install it.

You have no training, no product authorization, no experience, and no clue maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back