Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IPO500 - analog line distance

JiriPol

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2024
CZ
Dear All,
we have a potential customer on IPO500, but he has some analog phones in other buildings up to 5km away.
Oficial maximum cable length on IPO is 1km, as I found

Does anyone have practical experience with with larger distances?
Current old Panasonic can do it.

Thanks
Jiri

I have used Viking RG-224 boosters in large production facilities that exceeded the length limits of the IPO. They bring the voltages up to a 4 REN on the bellcore standards. The RG-224 supports 24 analog stations. Viking also makes smaller units if you just need a few stations.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

A "VERY OLD" fashion solution is to double the copper wiring, i mean connect in parallel (if allowed by the used cable) the white/blue with the white/orange, in this way you divide by two the cable resistance (and double the lenght). it's clear you can use it if just a few users are needed

@IamaSherpa The problem with the IPO is it uses 24V line voltage. It was never meant for OPX applications. Other phone systems I have worked with had actual OPX cards designed to be up to the Bellcore standards.

@budbyrd, it doesnt' matter the starting voltage, is the "OHM LAW", all depends on voltage drop due to wiring resistance, that's why (in the early times, when we used multy-pairs cables) the only solution was double the wiring (the more is the wire section the less is the voltage drop).
Anyway I am conscious is really an old fashion solution and maybe not applicable, best would be using ATAs but you have to transport IP connection 5kms away, not so cheap.

@IamaSherpa I predate deregulation here in the states. The Bell corporation owned all the phones and phone systems. The maximum distance for Cat2 cabling for analog telephone is up to 24,000 feet (or 4.5 miles). -48VDC for talk battery and 90VAC for ring voltage is the Belcor standard I am talking about. It should get you at least 7K.
As far as using ATAs. If you have a VPN between sites distance becomes irrelevant.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back