Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP500v2 R7.0.36 - Nortel Handsets Constantly Ringing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobRendle

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2012
GB
Morning,

I have a problem with all Nortel Handsets connected to an IPO500v2. We recently upgraded from R7.0.5 to R7.0.36 to resolve an issue with poor quality calls, since then, every night/early morning a couple handsets will ring constantly (without any call present). The only way to stop the ringing is to unplug the handset(s) and plug them back in.

The issue is not restricted to one TCM8 Card and seems to affect the Nortel Handsets at random. The display of the handset is as normal whilst the ringing occurrs.

Has anyone else had this issue and managed to resolve it? Is upgrading to 8.1.x the only way forward?

Tech Details :-

IP500v2 (7.0.36)

Combi/BRI4
TCM8
TCM8
TCM8

Range of Nortel Handsets used :-

T7208, T7100, M7310, T7000

We have checked / tried :-

Removing the offending extensions from the extension list/user list, saving config, re-adding and saving again (to clear any corruption)

Checked the error isn't isolated to one card

Ran a Monitor Trace - doesn't pickup any activity at all, other than the following error :-

509022886mS CMCallEvt: DCPLFieldBasedDisplayScreen::SetLine - Invalid line number (1(line_num) >= 1(op_line_count))

This error occurs throughout the day and night so we don't think it's related to the issue, as you'd have a lot of phones with the problem...the issue only occurs over night and/or early in the morning. However in light of the error above, I've checked the line numbers / line appearence keys and so on, there are no errors.

We have checked the caveats, can't find any thing that's specific to this issue.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi.

I also have a ticket open with avaya. As soon as they get back to me... if I can find the post, I'll put it here. (I have a tendency to lose things...)

Something you can do in the mean time, if you want to, is collect data in log files on the machine in question. To do this, open Monitor, select Trace Options (looks like a funnel icon), select the system tab, check all boxes but "date time periodic prints".

Open the logging information window (looks like a finger pointing at a sheet of paper). Select the radio button for "every x Mbytes", point the file to where you want it to go via the ellipsis button, click log to file, and then set the size of the file you want before it rotates and opens a new file. I chose 20 MBytes per avaya.

In the menu items, select "status", go down to the logging item, and then select all of the ports you want to look at. If the reports are random, then you will have to select all of them, in the hopes of getting a "hit" on a phone going nuts. Big caveat: the monitoring will only look at ports on the main unit. If there are issues on an expansion module, you are out of luck for them. When you select the port, minimize it, and then open the next one, etc. Note that these windows must remain open during the data aquisition. When you want to get your logs, if the last log hasn't hit the size, you will have to force a rotate with the green arrow in the menu bar.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Thanks for the responses. Would be perfect if you could pass that information on - we haven't purchased IPOSS and our supplier reccomends upgrading to 8.1 as 7.0 is now unsupported :/, which to be honest, we'll only do if we absolutely have to, something not quite right about having to purchase upgrade licenses to resolve manufacturer's bugs.

Thanks for the info on Monitor, didnt realise you could monitor the ports like that, we'll set something up, fortunately this customer only has the 3 TCM8 cards so we can monitor those without issue :)

Rob,

I would recommend that you raise a ticket with Avaya or get your supplier to raise it with Avaya as your supplier isn't providing you with the correct information. Please see the link below:

7.0 End of Sale Notice Link

Important Avaya IP Office 7.0 support notification
The Avaya N-1 software policy states that we will provide support for the current major release and one prior release. We will provide this support for R8.1 and R8.0 via the standard software patches. Customers with R7.0 will be supported and in the event of a Release 7.0 bug, Avaya has the option to either provide customers with an upgrade to a newer release or fix the bug.

Only customers that have raised an issue with us will be provided with either a free of charge license or PB.

I hope that clears up any confusion. Let me know if you have any issues raising a ticket.

Cheers,

Ross Shorrocks | SME BackBone Engineer | Global Support Services

Hi again...

One thing I forgot to mention... the logs are probably only useful to avaya. But still having them in your possession is a good thing!

So far I have heard of the problem existing on IPO's running 7.0.x, 8.1.x... so it might, as has been suggested by people above, be a continuing bug... sorry undocumented feature <grin>

Regards

Thanks for both of the posts, very helpful and will raise with our supplier again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back