Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP500v2 Multiple MOH files 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archilies

Technical User
Jan 15, 2024
AU
Hello,

We have 3 businesses running out of a single IP500v2. There are 2 number ranges and about 60 extensions. Currently the 3 businesses all have the same MOH provided using the external audio input. A requirement has come down from the franchise head office stating one of the businesses needs to have its own MOH so we think it would be best to provide all three businesses with individual MOH's. I have done a little research and it seems there is 2 ways I can do it:-
1. Upload WAV file to the SD Root. You can upload up to 4 file of 90 seconds each​
2. Buy 2 additional modules that will allow you to use external audio sources which can then use longer audio files. I have been told this but I have not been able to find the module/card required.​

I have a couple of questions that I would like to answer before I decide what is the best way to do this.
1. Is there a difference in the audio quality between the external audio and using the internal WAV file? I know they are both mono 16 bit audio but i was told that the quality from the onboard WAV files is bad and the external audio input is much better.​
2. Is it possible to set what MOH source each individual extension uses or is it done by number range or some other method?​
3. What would you recommend as the best way of setting this up?​

Thank you for any advice you can provide. The current person we use for support has very limited knowledge and we don't have another local support option available so often it is do it yourself or it doesn't get done.

Your simplest path is four separate MOH files. One as the system default and safe if heard for any reason on any of the three businesses calls. The other three, one per business and added to the system configuration as alternate sources.

You can assign the alternate sources to each business through the incoming call route settings used to route their incoming calls. Its really not possible to control the MOH applied on outgoing calls. And certainly not possible to do it at a per-user level.

As to quality I can't say, but WAV is easier and cheaper to setup and test, and then if it works, think about replacing the wavs with external sources at a later date. Can't see why two additional modules would be needed, if that refers to using analog extensions are external sources, as far as I'm aware you can use several analog ports on the same card or module..

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

For outbound calls, you can create separate short codes with h=hold music source in the telephone number field:

Screenshot_2024-01-16_091616_am75sa.png

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH'.
The paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Terry Pratchet

I'd forgotten that tweak. Have a star.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Thanks sizbut and Ekster. I really appreciate your help.

Looks like I have a bit of testing to do and see how it works. It is never going to be perfect as there is cross contamination between the 3 businesses as some staff work for 2 of the businesses so we will see if we can get it working for the majority of people.

I am not really all that worried about the outgoing as usually when on an outgoing call the receiving person is the one who puts the call on hold not in instigator.

So can you please confirm something for me. We have an IVR setup for each of the businesses. If we attach the MOH to the IVR source then once the receptionist answers the call and transfers it to a sales person, if the call is put on hold it will have the MOH associated with that inbound source. Is that correct?

Thanks

If you apply the hold music source on the Incoming Call Route, then the source will stay with the call even if forwarded or transferred.

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH'.
The paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Terry Pratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back