Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiltman7

MIS
Jun 14, 2004
US
Recently we changed our IP phones to a different vlan - 56 address, for QoS improvement. Before this move all IP phones worked fine, after the move ALL IP phone take a while to connect to the call server. The biggest problem started with the 9600 series phone where they continually tried "CONNECTING...". Once we powered them down DHCP would give them addresses and they would connect. If we powered them down the same issue would arise. This problem then affected out 4600 series phones and our Spectralink 8030 mobile phones. The Avaya manual says to leave the phones alone and let them connect on their own, if we do this the phones don't connect. With the 'desk' phones we will change the call server address to reflect the correct vlan address causing the phones to work. If we power down these phones the problem will return until we power them down again. Any help is appreciated.

I faced the same issue when I changed my DHCP server, I tried to reset the values of the phones and it is solved.
I don't know if this will help you but give it a try.

Press *27238 on the Phone and then choose " Reset Values " ..

Regards,
Fadi Haddad

Since you changed the VLAN you may need to look at the DHCP options like 242, etc. Depending on your setup, this option may need to be adjusted to specify the correct voice VLAN.

Thanks iggstermann and fadihadd. I looked at these settings and they are correct. We checked the DNS and the option 242 is correct. Resetting phones values will connect with DHCP but will not stop the delayed boot or 'looping' during phone start-up. Our mobile phones take anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back