Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP Office Does Not Respond to Norstar DTMF Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAlcala

Technical User
Jun 25, 2006
US
Callers using Nortar PBXs are not able to navigate our Avaya IP Office automated attendant menu. Avaya IP office disregards all DTMF tones from Nortar PBXs. Does Anyone now if there is a fix for this issue?

might need to adjust the dtmf tones coming out of the norstar, since that is only dtmf with issues. This points to norstar, as stated in your post.

Thanks for your reply. I brought our old Avaya Partner system back online, and had our client call in using their Nortar PBX. They were able to navigate the autoattendant menu using DTMF tones. Then, I switched our phone lines to the Avaya IP office system, and had our client call. The Avaya IP office system did not recognize the DTMF tones of the Nortsar system. Clearly, it is an Avaya IP office defect.

Your test does not prove the DTMF from the Norstar is in spec. It proves only that the Partner can accept the DTMF coning from the Norstar. The partner could very possibly be able to proccess out of spec DTMF. From my experience the Partner is very forgiving of faults, and it is quite possible this is the situation.

I would check with Norstar, and Avaya on this issue, and pit them against each other. One or the other needs to patch their product to spec.

You could try long tones on the Norstar (Feature 808). That might give you the required length that the IPO will understand.

I would also state that in all probability since the Norstar system/systems which you mention, are the only systems which your IPO is not recieveing proccessable DTMF from, it is probably the Norstar having the issue. If the IPO were the issue, it is probable that it would not be recieving DTMF from any system.

Sounds like TKOM has had this problem with Norstar's before.

Turn on long tones on the Norstar. I run into this all the time connecting Predictive dialers to the Norstar.

Thank you for your replies. Is there a way to configure the Avaya IP office system to accept Norstar DTMF tones? We are not about to call our clients to tell them to reconfigure their Nortar PBXs just because we purchased an Avaya IP Office system.

so you make it your problem ?
can you fix mine too ?
my boss does not pay me enough :)
if they have a problem then they have to fix it

MAlcala,
I have done some further networking with some Norstar experienced techs offline to get their humble opinions on this issue. It seems this is not totally uncommon that Norstar has issue with its less than DTMF tone generation setting. Norstar has the ability to adjust its DTMF to longer tones in order to meet standards for DTMF.

This does not however fix the issue that you have customers who because of their phone system can not negotiate via DTMF thru your AA. My suggestions are these.

1) Let your customer know that you have checked with techincal advisors, and the verdict is that the Norstar they have has the ability to send shorter than standard DTMF tones, or to be adjusted to send standard DTMF tones. They might be advised to adjust their systems settings since the IPO is up to spec.

2) Set timeouts in all of your AA's to go to a live person during open hours, and a VM box after hours.

3) Set ICR to route certain incoming CLID to specific groups, users, or VM boxes directly for this customers incoming calls.

Any other suggestions guys?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back