Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP Office Combo Card ATM v2 blowing up, twice now. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tele-tech

Technical User
Apr 21, 2021
CA
Hey folks,

We have a new customer with an Avaya IP office, who about 7 months ago we swapped out a blown up combo card. We swapped in a replacement(IPO 500 ATMU-V2), and last week it blew a transistor in what I believe was the same spot. I took the system off the wall, took a look inside, and can't see any other immediate damage to the motherboard. Power supply looked fine as well(again, this was all just a surface look).

We do have a Panamax surge protector on the line, and the CO lines coming in are via a Rogers(broadband) modem, which is just essentially a coax VoIP modem.

When I arrived on site, the CO lines on the card were green, but all sets were down and no lights on the DS portion of the card. Nothing was plugged into the analog ports.

Here are pictures of the card:

Bottom

20230621_112246_oi5wsw.jpg

Close Up Bottom

bottom_of_combo_card_zo21p5.jpg

Bottom card, top view with top card removed

20230621_165120_vzgyji.jpg

Top and Front

top_of_card_cw7phk.jpg

Anyone have any idea why a system would blow up two cards within the span of 7 months?

Is the system correctly earthed, using the earth screw connector on the back of the chassis?

Also, could be an issue with the backplane. May wish to jump the combo card to another slot, if possible.

remembering Intrigrant 2019

The damage is on the circuits for the extension ports, not the lines. Apart from the earthing as holdmusic34 says, I would be checking all the wiring on that side plus the actual devices that are being connected.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Bet there is a PC LAN card miss-patched to the port.

I wish Avaya would build in some sort of protection against this eventuality

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH'.
The paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Terry Pratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back