Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebNLG

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2004
US
I have 2 at home agents that are unable to get into their IP soft phones. They are upgraded to version 4.0.3.2 per Avaya, using telecommuter, and everytime they open the phones the receive the follwing error message: "IP Agent was unable to start the Avaya iClarity IP Audio Program. Please contact your technical support team if you continue to receive this message." I have uninstalled and reinstalled the phone about 6 times on each computer with no success. Avaya does not know what the problem is. Has anyone ever received this message and know how to fix it? The remote agents are using Cisco VPN client if that makes any difference.

I've seen that error message on mine before but I can't recall what the fix was. Have you tried to check to make sure those computers have the recommended sound cards and speakers or headset attached and that it's working proplerly?

One of the computers has a sound card installed, the other does not. They worked fine up until Saturday and then I had problems. I have seen the problem before and uninstalling/reinstalling usually fixed it, but it didn't work this time. The headset they use is connected to their home phone line.

By the way IP Softphone version 4 requires a RTU License from Avaya or Avaya Business Partner

Do you have a PC in the office you can test with?
Maybe you can roll back to version 3 (software is available on Avaya's website) to test with and without the VPN connection. If that works, then try the same thing with Version 4. Since Avaya recommended version 4 they should have provided you the RTU license for free.

We purchased version 4 when we cutover to Avaya so that is not an issue. I have approx 300 computers in the office that are working properly and approx 200 at home agents who use the software. The upgrade was a patch from Avaya applied to version 4.

I have seen that error message before and the only thing that ever fixed it was to re-image the whole PC. We were never able to find any other way around this problem. It's very frustrating, especially since Avaya doesn't know why it does that.

Josh

Tell me about it. I have a ticket open with tier 4 support and they said it was becasue there was not a sound card installed. WRONG! :) According to them, they will have to write a new release to correct the problem.

you don't need the iclarity app in a telecommuter setup.
the actual sound is transported via the PSTN.
if you are doing IP Agent via VOIP, then you need to run the audio options for playback/speech in your device like a USB heaset, soundcard, etc. Make sure you have run the audio tuning wizard with the right device.

I thought that the phone did not operate without the iClarity program? We are using telecommuter with Phantom ID's...I was under the impression that this was VoIP. We do not use headsets connected to the computer, we have the Avaya PBX call back the virtual agents on their home phone and the headset is connected to their home phone. You can click OK to get out of the iClarity error and do the station login afterwards, but when they try to login via their agent ID, the PBX will not call them back. This is what is making me think that the iClarity is necessary.

Check your lisence on the PBX: on my PBX the command is <Disp Cap>, then tab 11 will show you your IPA lisence, make sure it is 4 and not 3 or 5. You mention IP Softphone and IPA, but it has to be one or the other because IPS will not install if you have IPA installed already, it will error to that effect. The iclarity error has nothing to do with your sound card either. I know it has something to do with your settings and/or the network. I would need to know how you are configured to help further, Telecommuter or Road Warrior. When we had the problem, it turned out to be network related. Our PIX Firewall did not allow the ports used to travel. IPA uses port 1720 to send out the packets but replies with 1721 or greater, and the firewall does not like that.

Good luck.

==========================================================
Does anyone have a quarter, I need to make a phone call?

I am showing IP_Agent 4 for the license. Using Telecommuter and using Cisco VPN client for the virtual agents. This problem just happened all of a sudden, agents worked fine Friday and no changes to the network were made. Thank you for the help!

Funny thing for us is that we just lost our connectivity on Friday with the iClarity error and we found out that the NAT table was not allowing the cross over between our 137 network to our 15 network. The Agents are on 137 and IPA is on 15. We fixed the NAT table to allow the recognition and it works again. Not sure if that is your problem but the iClarity Error is almost always Network related, don't ask Avaya though they'll tell you to install a sound card.

This might help
==========================================================
Does anyone have a quarter, I need to make a phone call?

Looks like it may be network related. We received the computer back in the office and restarted it in safe mode, opened the phone and received a network realted message. Then we rebooted in normal mode and the phone worked. I am still waiting on the other computer to arrive. I will try the same and update. Thank you all for the help!

Does anyone have any news on this issue and what the fix is for it? I am a home based user / administrator using Avaya IP Agent to connect to a queue nightly from 3am - 12pm. Suddenly last night it would no longer connect and got the message "IP Agent was unable to start the Avaya iClarity IP Audio Program. Please contact your technical support team if you continue to receive this message."

I have uninstalled the IP Agent several times and reinstalled it with no luck. I have gone to the Avaya site and found no real helpful information, so far this is the only place I have seen listing the exact error message!

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I have been in contact with IT at my company's head office but they are just as stumped as I am.

The fix that worked for us (would be interested to know if it works for you...)

Restart computer in safe mode.
Log on as local admin
Double click Avaya IP Agent wait for the error message, exit and reboot into normal OS.

Try to log into the phone again.

If that still does not work, remove the TCP/IP protocol, reboot and reinstall. That should do the trick.

Let me know how you turn out.

Thansk for the response. I attempted the steps you outlined above and still had no luck.

I don't know if it helps but I am running Windows XP Pro and using the Avaya IP Agent 4.0.2.4 which I upgraded to from 4.0.1.18 after the problem started.

IT at my company has suggested reinstalling XP, do you think that will have any effect?

Haven't had any experience with this happening on XP. Only tried on 2000. I don't think the entire OS would have to be reinstalled.

We are using version 4.0.1.18 with a few people running 4.0.3.2.

Did you remove the TCP/IP networking protocol, reboot, reinstall, reboot?

Does anyone have documentation/knowledge about IP Agent logs? We keep getting the error:

AudioSession::Start: Encryption: local: off, remote: off
[11/23/2004 06:20:11:281] ERROR: Unknown payload type.
[11/23/2004 06:20:11:281] ERROR: CRTCPCompoundPacket::Create: Error while decoding a control packet's header.
[11/23/2004 06:20:11:281] ERROR: A parse error...
[11/23/2004 06:20:11:296] ERROR: Unknown payload type.
[11/23/2004 06:20:11:296] ERROR: CRTCPCompoundPacket::Create: Error while decoding a control packet's header.
[11/23/2004 06:20:11:296] ERROR: A parse error...

We are having problems with quality and call control.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back