Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP Agent - No audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trixie1

MIS
Oct 24, 2008
US
I'm having an issue with a few remote agents. We are using Avaya IP Agent 6.0. For the agents to connect to my site they are using a Cisco VPN access (v 5.06). The VPN connects without issue. The IP agent logins into the switch without issue. At first, for both the calling and the called party everything will appear just fine. The called party will see the calling party's Caller ID and the telephone will ring while the calling party will hear a ringing feedback tone at the other end. When the called party picks up the telephone, both the ringing and the associated ringing feedback tone at the other end will stop as one would expect. However, the calling party will not hear the called party (one way audio) and the called party will not hear the calling party either (no audio). This does not happen all the time. Just on occasion.

Trixie1,

quoting the First Commandment of VoIP Troubleshooting: Ye Shall Checkest Thy Data Network First.

Forgot to mention in my post, Network was checked - all is well.

Trixie1,

all right then, i'll quote the Second Commandment: Oh Ye Who Are Phoneman Thou Shalt Not Ever Place Thy Faith In Networkmen. did you check that data network yourself? i never believe network guys, they always say "we got a nice working network here, the problem's on your side" and it almost always turns back around. oh we forgot to tell you about recent firewall changes, oh we didn't think changing access lists could affect your phones... crap. in my experience, 99% of voip troubles lies in the network.

As mentioned - the Network was checked, all is well

Trixie1,

then i guess it's time to check if dsp resources are available. run 'list measurements ip dsp-resource summary' and see if there were any denials.

I am having a simular problem, but it seems to happen most often on the first call of the day. My agents login using IP Agnet 7.0, they are on the company network at a remote site using telecommuter. I recently updated a few a my MedPro boards TN2303 HW18 to FW 118 from 117. I'm wondering it that might be causing the problem. The agents claim after they receive the inital call without a voice path that they log out and back in and everything seems to work after that. I did a trace on one of the agents and captured a call, but nothing looks unusual to me.

Hi Dwalin and Phonechic,

Dwalin - I run the list measurements.... and there are no denials. (Wish there were)

Phonechic - I assume the problem wasn't happening before the updated MedPro boards but could you confirm this for me? We haven't updated or changed anything but this may put me in another direction - maybe something needs to be updated. I will also do a trace and see what happens.

Some additional information - I have two remote sites. One is connected via a direct pipe; the other is not, it's using the VPN to connect over the internet. The direct pipe site is not having any issues. The VPN one is. It's usually a problem on the first call of the day. One setting I asked this site to change was under IP Agent settings under advance. I've asked them to enable "use this IP address" and set the ports from 2048 to 3049. I'll post the outcome when this is done.

Thanks for all the help.

I opened a ticket with Avaya to start a MST trace to see if it is the firmware. The agents say the problems were happening on occasion, but about a week I updated firmware on half of our Med Pros and about 1/10 of our DS1 boards, the problem increased, so I'm not sure if they are related. Last night I received 5 trouble shooting links from Avaya. The one below states the following:

Problem 12: You click the Answer button to answer a ringing call, and the call is disconnected.
If your PC is performing slowly and you click the Answer button more than once to answer a call, Windows queues the button clicks and then performs these clicks as soon as it is capable. After the first button click is performed, the call is answered, and the Answer button is changed to the Hangup button. Unfortunately, the second button click in the queue then clicks the Hangup button, disconnecting the call.

Be sure to click the Answer button only once.

I'm checking with our desktop group to see if any changes were made to the desk-tops. I know a few weeks ago they loaded a patch and it took 15-20 before the PC had some free memory.

ftp://ftp.avaya.com/incoming/Up1cku9/tsoweb/ip_softphone_r3/Callhandlingissues.htm#Problem 10

here are the other ones, they might be helpful:

iClarity IP Audio Issues:

Phone Directory Issues:
Avaya Outlook Integrator Issues:

4600 Series IP Telephone LAN Admin Guide:

Phonechic - thatnks for all the info. I'm still waiting for Avaya to answer my ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back