Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redwoodbob

Technical User
Aug 26, 2009
US
Hello All,The company I work for recently acquired another company that has lots of Avaya equipment. I've worked with Nortel for years and have had only limited exposure to Avaya. Somehow I've been chosen to decommission all of this equipment which will require travel to many remote sites and perform site surveys.As you know site survey's will require logging into the Avaya G350's and S8300's at each location, verifying total number of sets, DID ranges, set configs etc etc.If this were Nortel, I wouldn't even be here asking but I need to know;* How do I connect my laptop? Console port? Crossover cable?* Do I need special software or can I use telnet or Hyperterm? and work from a command line?* Where can I find documentation? I'm searching Avaya's site and have some install docs for the G350's and S8300's but I need something relevant to commands or working with ARTIn nortel terms, for set info I would simply go to LD 20 TNB and DNB, drop the info to a txt file and voila.Does anyone know the equivelant for Avaya? I'm not looking to be an expert, just need enough info to get set configs.I'll apologize now for the lack of info, but you know as much as I do at this point.Any and all help is appreciated.

I just want to add that I'm not going to support the equipment, just need to extract enough information from it to decommission it and deploy Cisco. Worse case scenario is that I visit each phone and check setup and make notes regarding speed dials, voicemail, hunt groups, roll patterns etc. Then visit the demarc, get circuit ID's etc then call the vendors for DID ranges etc as well as any analog lines that may be connected. I'm just trying to make this as easy and as painless as possible. I've visited the Avaya Support site, lots of great info and documentation but like Nortel, unless you know excalty what you're looking for you could spend a liftime sifting through all of the docs until you find what you need. If you can recommend any specific documentation, that would be great.

I would talk to the end users because they would know what features are mostly used. Then you can probably just call the Business Partner and they can give you all the information you need.

You should be able to connect remotely to all of these and do a hardware, station, trunk inventory.

It will save a lot of travel expenses.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

36 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 26 years and counting

Ok, I have a stupid question, if this sits already have all this Avaya gear, why are you going to spend the money to rip it out and put in Cisco, when you could just interconnect the Avaya with your Nortel stuff? (or your Cisco Stuff).

Thanks AT3.

David, I asked the same question when I walked in the door. The overall plan is to remove ALL of the Avaya kit company wide. Apparently there have been some Avaya / Cisco interconnect problems in other parts of the country within the company as well as issues with some of the Avaya Partner companies and site support.
On the flip side, I think the real answer might be an IT budget surplus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back