Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya G450 S8300 Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krul72

Systems Engineer
May 26, 2020
US
Hello,
I received an Avaya G450 with a S8300 card from a sister business. I was hoping all I had to do was plug it in. Wrong. I have a solid red light on the S8300 and show faults states "Primary Controller Not Found". I can connect to the Services port on the S8300 and ping it. Does the S8300 have its own set of usernames? If not, none of my other accounts can login to it.

Am I SOL or is there anything else I can try? How hard is it to replace the S8300 assuming its dead? Thank you!

IMG20230315182937_purfqo.jpg

The 8300 does have its own set of logins. You'll need to be able to log into CM in order for it to be of any use.

Which s8300 below do you have?

e/w 2 horizontal USB
s8300
s8300B
e/w 3 vertical USB
s8300C
s8300D
s8300E

Code:
Use USB CD player and Avaya CM software to load and 
you will have a craft and a root login with default password access

Compatible loads
Platforms - Simplex Family

Platform        GA              Backup          Remote  Ramdisk         Server
                                HD              MaintBD SSD             Type

S8300           1.0 - 2.0.1     none            No      No              icc
S8300B          2.2             NA  20GB        Yes     2GB             icc
S8300C          4.0             USB 40GB        No      Yes 4GB         S8300C
S8300D          5.2             USB 60GB        No      No  8GB         S8300D
S8300E          5.2             USB ????        No      No  8GB         S8300E

A great teacher does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

49 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 39 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

It is a S8300. No letters after it.

Look harder!
I think it reads
S8300
ICC/LSP
D V7

if so, it's a D

You are correct. That's exactly what it says. I was thinking it would have said it after the S8300 but that's what I get for thinking.

s8300D will support system platform and at the very least cm5.2 if you have CM installation cd's.

system platform is more complex due to virtual machines and login/password setups upon install.
cm5.2 default install uses craft / root defaults and nothing else added until license and authentication installed.

A great teacher does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

49 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 39 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

So I dont have any passwords for the S8300D. The other company outsourced the support and the guy that use to support the system quit. I know I have to call Avaya but is it worth it if the card is bad? Or should I replace the S8300D? Is installing similar to the CS1000 where the system board has to match the software license - of which I dont have?

S8300D are not supported in CM 8 and 10, if you are running a older version of CM then you can re-install the S8300 software. you would need a copy of the System Platform ISO from Avaya and then the CM software to put on it. Is this meant to be setup as a survivable LSP or a main CM running on the s8300?

Also, start with the media-gateway, login to it and reload it "nvram init" is the command, if you cannot loginto it, then you will need to use the jumper method by pulling the motherboard out and jumpinb a specific jumper then rebooting it a few times. This will factory reset it and then you can console or serial connect to it. Once you get the media-gateway working then worry about configuring the LSP/S8300. Sounds like it just needs a reload of the software, most likely it is not dead and just in alarm because it cannot reach its primary CM registration address and on a different network then where it came from so no network access either.

you can always try admin/admin01 and then root root01 on the S8300. Maybe you'll get lucky

So I did get lucky with Admin\Admin01. I was able to login to the CM and found the error - there is no license. I get this message roughly 30 minutes post boot. It seems like it cant find the license and then gives up. This switch was part of a survivable failover that no longer exists. I removed the second MGC in the CLI leaving only this switch but I dont know if that was enough or if the switch still thinks its part of a cluster.

Is it trying to find the license on the missing MGC and then times out because its not there?

AvayaRedTech,

I performed the 'nvram init' and reconfigured the IP. I can access the CLI of the G450 but getting hung up on SNMP3 when accessing the web site. I havent done anything with the S8300D. Although I can access it using the admin account, I can only access BASH and the web site. I tried all the combos for root and cust to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back