Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya G3siV6 IP compatible? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas46

Technical User
Dec 5, 2006
US
Hello,
I have a customer that has an older Avaya G3siV6 PBX and they wonder if it can handle any wireless IP phones. I don't think so- I would think they would need a costly upgrade- probably to a S8XXX series server based system.
There is no way this system can accomodate any IP phones right?

Thanks in advance-

etexas46

The least expensive way is to buy a new small S8300D/CM5 switch, with a DS1 card (MM710), set it up to connect to their old switch via a DS1 crossover cable. send all the calls to the old switch via UDP, over the DS1 circuit connected back-to-back. You are using the new switch basicly for its IP capabilitys.

This will be far less money than upgrading that old iron, and eventualy, you could possibly even replace the old swithc with this, by buying additonal RTU, and hardware (S-Series gateways, such as the G430, more DS1 / Digital / Analog cards etc)

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Or setup an analog station and punch it down to a wireless house phone. A lot cheaper and easier...

Does anyone know if the G3 V6 support VOIP at all? I didn't think CLAN's or MedPro's would work in this model or V7 at all.

Thanks for all the replies- I learned that some G3's actually have IP capability for around 5 phones ( assuming you have a CLAN card installed ) and some software comes with licensing for those few. Do a Display Capacity and page thru - near the end it will show if any IP licenses exist.

9.5 was the bare minimum with an old 4612 phone... trust me you don't want to try it. 11 and up is much safer.

etexas46, do you have the source for the information about the G3's that actually have IP capability? In fact, I checked one or our Prologix and it support 5 IP phones as you mentioned. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back