Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya DHCP issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo1007

Technical User
Dec 22, 2013
GB
Hi,

I have just installed an IPO with 20 x 1608 handsets.

I set the IP Offices DHCP to server and entered a range of 20 ip addresses for IP phones only. They have DHCP server on their site but I thought they would not conflict as I set the Avaya to IP phones only. When they come in the office in the morning none of their pc's are working because they are trying to connect to the Avayas DHCP.

Their DHCP does not have the ability to enter options 242 etc so I was wondering if there is any way to resolve the issue without having to go back to site and statically assign each handset.

Also, if statically assigning is the only option, I have not done this before so please could someone let me know what to enter for the file server?

Many Thanks,

You'll probably find the issue is their server/SBS had detected another DHCP server and shut it's own down, there is a reg entry for the server to stop this if it's a SBS. That's a guess, but I have never seen the system respond to anything other than phones when it's set to IP phones only :)

1) there should only be 1 DHCP server on any Vlan
2) the IP Handsets should be on a separate Vlan to the computers
3) the IP Office Lan connection needs to be connected to a port physically tagged with the correct Vlan for the Extns.

If the customer is incapable of configuring their network & DHCP server accordingly then you have 2 options

1) Connect the IP Handsets to a physically isolated data network (separate POE Switches)
2) Manually configure the handsets.

File server address is normally the address of the IP Office.

one final option would be for the customer to use the IPO as their DHCP server but this would be strongly discouraged.

The great fallacy of VoIP
Because it uses data networking you IT dept nolonger need special training to administer the telephone network.
The truth
(as far as small companies go anyway)
Your data network will require configuring to an exacting high standard such that your IT team will no longer be able to manager your data network

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Thanks Riddle, I have just called their IT team and it is an SBS windows server. They said they do not know what the reg entry would be so if you could kindly let me know how they would enter this reg entry it will save me a trip to site and will be most appreciated.

Many Thanks,

That instils confidence in the IT company ;-)

(& Proves my point regarding the VoIP fallacy)

Thanks IP Guru, all of the handsets are on a separate Poe switch but if we were to disconnect the IPO from their network I am pretty see the handsets will then say unable to find router as I think this came up on the handsets when I was testing in our office.

Please could you confirm if this is the registry setting I should ask them to enter. I found this online;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcpserver\Parameterscreate a DWORD called "DisableRogueDetection" and assign a value of 1.

Use 1 Lan on the IPO for their data network & the other for the handsets
keep them isolated so there is no need to have DHCP on the data connection.

+ keeping it way from the customers network will save you no end of trouble

Thanks IPGuru, I am hoping I will not have to go back to site so do you think I could just ask them to enter the reg key to resolve the issue?

If I just take the system off of their network, should the IP phones still work or do they need a router?

If it is a SBS then it is a MS DHCP server. And MS DHCP is very well able to have option 242 configured. Don't know that much about SBS but I cannot believe that MS removed the option to create custom options.

Why not add the 242 dhcp string to the SBS DHCP server?

Then he hasn't tried. I've done it on quite a few SBS servers' that are the DHCP server.

Here you go:

Code:
First, you need to create a predefined Scope.  Right click on the DHCP Server and select "Set Predefined Scopes"

Next, click the Add Button.....

After clicking ok, you need to set the String value.    The picture below does not show the whole string, but you add based on this information:

MCIPADD=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,MCPORT=1719,TFTPSRVR=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy,TFTPDIR=z

• xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the H323 Gatekeeper address. Normally this is the IP Office Control Unit's address.
• yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy is the TFTP Server IP Address. Normally this is the IP address of the PC running Manager.
• z is the directory on the TFTP Server where the 4600 Series IP telephone software files are located. This information is not required if those files are in the TFTP server's default directory.  Personally I will not use this option so my string will be:

MCIPADD=192.168.16.10,MCPORT=1719,TFTPSRVR=192.168.16.1

The last thing to do is to add the newly added option to your scope, then the phones should boot correctly!

No pictures in this example but i can send you the doc if you tell me where to send it to :)

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

As peter described not very difficult. It is a job the IT guy has to do and not our job. But if you can help them with these jobs you will get a much better standing. From my experience the IT guys think we are stupid phone guys who don't know about IT stuff. If you help them with their job they will beach easier to 'handle'. Most of them... ;-)

You have had better experience than me Derf.

I generally find that the IT guy really does not like it when it becomes apparent that you know more about his job than he does & that there is more to networking than plugging everything in and leaving it in defaults :)

If you work with him together and don't go to his boss it mostly works. Mostly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back