Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Definity G3r CDR to PC's COM2 port - PC software that will split logs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMarin

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
GB
Long shot, I know, but...

Does anyone know of a good, free serial port scanner, ala HyperTerminal, that can log the results to a text file? Then when it reaches a certain cap (ie 5mb in size or 6 hours in time) it stops updating the current text file and moves onto a new one?

We have an old phone system that is outputting reportable raw data and we would like to capture it and import it into an SQL database for reporting. However, I'd like to import individual files, rather than import the whole thing and check each time.
Plus the size will get unmanageable quite quickly.

I've configured the phone system to only output the data needed, space delimited with a carriage return and line feed after each record.
I just need it captured to multiple log files that I will import in to an SQL database (and move to a "processed" folder) using SQL servers' Integration Services.

The phone system is so old that the only form of connection is via RS232 to a PC's serial port.

Thanks for the reply, but I decided to go with Serial Printer Logger, as it had a free trial and managed to output in lots of different way, and split files by size or time.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back