Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Definity G3 INADS and remote access modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hebegb41

Technical User
Aug 28, 2008
US
OK, so I got a new gig working on old G3 systems and need to hook up a modem for external access to the system. The existing INADS line does not seem to answer the INCOMING call for sys access. The outbound alarming works but not inbound sys access. I have tested the 1MB right up to the connection to the PBX and the 1MB is working fine. When I x connect to the pbx, the modem never answers, just rings open. The INADS looks good in the sys parameters maint page and like I said all outbound is working. Is there a way I can set up another INBOUND modem line other than INADS via sys maint card. BTW, tried resetting the sys maint card too.....no joy.....
Thanks from an old Nortel guy working on Avaya....lol.....

Connected to the processor on the right side of the cabinet should be a spider cable with different connectors. One of them should be labeled Modem and is what you would need a modem connected to.

I have a feeling AvayaTier3 will chime in as well on this one.

Hardware platform, Definity Software version

If modem is dialing out to report alarms, connectivity may be okay.
Incoming ringing for 1FB not answering in this case may be defective hardware on the internal modem card. (i.e. hit by lightning)
Incoming ringing for station using DID line with double ring may not answer. (add data restriction to station programming for single ring incoming DID)

Command: list configuration control
Command: list configuration software

g3si, g3csi, g3r all have different hardware that controls modem access.

However, for g3s, g3si, and g3r there is a common connection for internal modem to the aux cable violet-slate (last) pair T & R of inads line.
g3csi requires an external sportster modem. USR5637 US ROBOTICS 56K USB MODEM MODEL 5637

Code:
tn711   processor        - r1v1 up to r1v3       - internal modem max baud 1200
tn711b  processor        - r1v1 up to r1v3       - internal modem max baud 1200
tn773   processor (286)  - g1 or r1v4 and r1v5   - internal modem max baud 1200
tn759   processor (xe)   - r1v2 up to r1v3       - internal modem max baud 1200
tn786   processor        - g3v2 up to g3v4       - internal modem max baud 2400
tn786b  processor (386)  - g3v2 up to g3v4       - internal modem max baud 2400
tn790   processor Raptor - g3v5 up to g3v8       - internal modem max baud 9600
tn798   processor Raptor - Prologics g3v6 - g3v8 - external modem max baud 9600
tn1648 v4 Sysam          - g3r - g3v1 - g3v11    - internal modem max baud 1200
tn1648 v5 Sysam          - g3r - g3v1 - g3v11    - internal modem max baud 2400
tn1648B   Sysam          - g3r - g3v1 - g3v11    - internal modem max baud 9600
tn2402  processor Raptor - Prologics g3v9 - g3v13- external modem max baud 9600
tn2404  processor Raptor - g3si     g3v9 - g3v12 - internal modem max baud 9600

A great teacher does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

49 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 39 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

All, thanks a bunch for the replies. Have G3r Old Version R-Media: R011r.7585.7.0.2 Disk: R011r.7585.7.0.2
So it looks like I am using the TN1648B cards in both SPE's. INADS just wont answer incoming. It is a 1MB so no station programming restrictions on it for inbound. It just rings open and the internal modem just never answers.....I disconnected the 1MB and connected it to a 2500 set and the phone rings fine, can answer, clear talk path etc. Just a head scratcher as to why the modem won't answer.....

Active SPE is where the tn1648B modem is that should answer. Have you tried switching the active SPE with the standby SPE so the other
tn1648B modem is used for incoming?

Command: reset system interchange

A great teacher does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

Sometimes the modem will not work due to lightning strike on the inads line. If both fail to answer, the tn1648B boards should be replaced.

bsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back