Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Communicator and Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.

megs28

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2010
CA
I'm not an integrator, but an end user.

Hoping to get a quick and honest answer on this one. It's pretty simple

I just started using Avaya Communicator, version 2.1.4 with our IPO 500 v11 system. In a search to see if auto login in an option I realized there are newer versions of the client. I'm sure there's a good reason my reseller gave me 2.1.4 a few months ago but just wondering if someone could let me know the latest version of communicator or Equinox I can use, and the license requirements. I understand all I need is a powerworker license and a VCM channel to use Communicator 2.1.4.... In reading the release notes for the Equinox 3.6 client it is far, far superior to and would make my life as an admin much easier and a better experience for our end users.

I'm using it on Windoze.

Cheers

Side note - These forums are great. Wish I have enough knowledge to contribute to the base in the Avaya forms, it has helped ,e pin point issues or understand how to config something a lot over the years.

Crickets?

Hoping someone can simplify the differences between these platforms. I now understand there is Avaya Communicator, one-x communicator, and Equinox.

I don't want to go with an obsolete client, or something that will be obsolete in a few years. However, I don't have the budget to blow on getting IP licenses for everyone.

I'm getting super vague information from my reseller, who is trying to convince me to either go with the Avaya Communicator, or go full blown Equinox saying we need a service call and to reconfigure our system and open firewall ports.

Equinox is replacing Communicator. R3.6.4.31.2 is the latest version I am aware of.

Not sure why they would be pushing communicator if you're already on R11?

Maybe it would help if you detailed what your expectations were from the software? What do you want it to do?

APSS/ACIS/ACSS-SME
not arrogant, just succinct.

@TomMills

I did have a conversation about that and was still told to use Communicator because Equinox absolutely required changes (I found the manual config since my posts, and it works fine). It took nearly half a dozen calls and emails to get it....was like pulling teeth. I don't use ONeX portal at all.

I just need the soft phone. I don't care about presence or the UC stuff with Outlook right now, but I may do it in the future so it's about future proofing for me..... It seems for this purpose the Equinox is just fine, but has more bloat to it so perhaps that is why they were pushing Communicator. That being said, I'll live with the bloat for a more modern app, especially one that will auto login unlike the 2.4 communicator (one before one-x).

Can anyone clarify the licensing requirements? Same for Communicator as it is for Equinox for a soft phone? I'm told to get power user but not explanation as to why I can't get a basic license or whatever.

Thank you all for the replies :) Much appreciated.

If you have essential edition you need the softphone license to make Equinox work. If you have preferred, you will use Power User.

Long story short, I did end up sticking with Communicator.

I found Equinox was not easy for staff to see when it wasn't connected. I like the auto login feature though. That's really the only thing Communicator is missing for me right now!

Seems I can also use teleworker license for the softphone....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back