Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya - Communication Manager - Home Lab Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

skk391

Technical User
Mar 3, 2009
GB
Hi,

I been tasked with the admin an Avaya Aura PBX. I have technical services and support available but would like to start to really learn myself through trial and error, I find that this is the best way. However, I know that this almost impossible to do in a production environment and therefore would like to do it within a home lab. I have an Avaya G350 box and my question is, am I able to install communication manager on this box?

I would like to play with the programming of extensions, hunt group, pickup groups, DDI and phone programming. Also then move to VDN and vectors.

I have done some basic research on-line and can see that the ISO are available through Avaya Support to download. I would like to run emulation and start playing.

I come from a Nortel and Symposium environment so the terminology is slightly different but the principle is the same.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Also, I have a Avaya g350. Is it possible to install ASA and any other platforms so that I can achieve my training needs on this? I have read that it can be used for a branch office so I should be able to program a couple of extensions on it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If you're installing CM6 I believe it will work unlicensed for 30 days, at which time you'll need to re-install. I would also think doing this would require you to install the proper template (not lsp) to be able to do anything on it.

Does that G350 have an S8300 board? If not, then no, you can not install CM to that box. If you do have one, load the latest compatible CM version to it. S8300C's can't run CM6.x/VSP.

Do you have an ESXi server (VMWare) or run VMWare workstation? You could run a full copy of CM in that environment and have your G350 register to that.

My lab system is very similiar to this -- G350 registered to a CM on VMWare.

Hi Thanks for the replies, the G350 does have a S8300 board installed. I would like to play with some VOIP phones what sort of cards to I need for that??
It also has the following cards.

1 * MM711
2 * MM710

I a little unsure of what steps I need to take, so would it be possible to do a step by step or bulletpoint the process for me. I've done a little research...

I need to download the CM ISO to a cd drive and then plug a USB drive to the USB1 port?

I can obtain a PC or setup a VM box what exactly is that for???

Thanks in advance, sorry for the questions just keen to get it all setup so I can test and play.

Think of it this way... you need a "Call Processor" somewhere to process the g350 (and its boards) actions. In older switches, this was in the shelf itself. Now-days its the CM server. Your CM server can be any of the following:
a VM on your virtual environment (easiest for a lab, especially if you need to run other servers for testing)
a physical server
a VM on Avaya VSP (System Platform [xen])

Go get this server setup (read the deployment docs on the Avaya support site). If installing CM6+, you'll need to install VSP first to the server. If installing CM5.2.1 or earlier then you install it directly. If this is an s8300, then you need the special CD Drive from the instruction manual.

Thanks, I'll read the documents, what this space! I'll most likely be back with some questions. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back