Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Aura 10.1 and VMware distributed switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arlo555

Vendor
Jun 19, 2014
US
We are preparing to migrate new hardware for our Avaya VMware environment. I was told in the past that Avaya did not support distributed switches is this still true? When I ask Avaya I'm told to request the information for each product. We will be on 10.1.x or 8.1.x (Media-Server, AEP etc.).

They do support it on most products but it's definitely worth reading up on each product you will be deploying.

When we moved from physical servers on v7 to hypervisor on v8 I did a spreadsheet of each product with what it supported and CPU/RAM requirements.

Some products support DRS, Storage DRS, vMotion, Storage vMotion, HA, etc but we decided not to implement any.

We just deployed them as standalone hosts (4x AVP and 7x vSphere) with a pair of Cisco 9300 switches using port channels (each vswitch = 2x phys host NICS, one NIC to each switch) and a single vCenter for management.

For the CM duplex link I used a dedicated vNIC on each host and then linked them together with an ethernet cable so bypassing any switching hardware.

If you decide to go with dvSwitch a safer option is to deploy the vCenter appliances as HA (if you lose vCenter you lose the ability to manage the dvSwitch, not the end of the world but still a concern)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back