Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 9610 Series....How To Set It Up??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cipher7836

Technical User
Dec 20, 2010
US
We bought an Avaya 9610 IP phone. We wanted to set it up with our system. (IPOffice 500v2)

When I plug the phone into my port on the module the phone boots to: "Avaya One-X...No Ethernet *to program"
When I press *to program it asks for a code. Whatever I type in makes it reboot back to the screen above. Can anyone tell me how to use this phone?

What port on what module do you mean?

It seems that there is no ethernet connection, so check the LAN cable and your switch.

But if I understand you correctly, you're trying to connect the phone to a DS Module on the IP Office.

That is not gonne work..

The 9610 is not supported!

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

We got the phone to work internally. We gave it an extension and were able to dial out, dial other extensions, and receive calls. I wonder if I could take the phone home, plug it into my switch, and change the configuration to point to our router. Then forward SIP requests to the main module.

What do you guys think? Is it possible?

Do you have a VPN to the office?

DO not connect the IP Office to the internet...

Did you read the Manual from intrgrant and. My post?

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

I'm reading the manual now. Thank you for the link. It's very helpful. I'll finish reading through it, and hope for the best.

Thanks to everyone for your prompt replies. You guys are lifesavers!

We don't want a VPN to the remote server. We used VPN phones, but our remote users kept getting dropped calls. It's almost as if the VPN gets disabled by the Internet provider they have. On U-Verse they work great. Our Comcast users keep getting dropped calls. So we figured we would go the SIP route with no VPN.

Sip without VPN??

Good idea.. using a text base non secure registering methode over public internet.

We're not too concerned about being hacked during a conversation. We just want phones for remote users that actually work. It's sad that I can get a FreePBX box with some Cisco IP Phones, and I'm good to go. But with Avaya it's a pain in the butt. And on the FreePBX platform I never had dropped calls, and the quality was great.

Does anyone know how to configure the main module to get this SIP phone to work remotely? I've been reading through the materials I have, but I'm still confused as to what settings to change.

I'm not concerning about hacking your calls during a conversation to..

But I would be concerned about people login their SIP endpoint to your phonesystem an make expensive outbound calls.

Yeah, that was a big deal on the FreePBX systems as well. I'm reading up on how to make that setup secure. I would love to go the VPN route, but the stupid ISPs keep collapsing it. Right now we have the remote user's extensions pointing to a landline we bought for them. They have none of the functions of being on our phone system. It just seems so archaic to do it that way.

Do you think that if we had a VPN device at the remote user's location, and connect it to the one here, that it would be more stable? I'm just at a loss as to what to do for these users.

Yes it would be stable if you use a good VPN gateway on both sides (ie Sonicwall)

another benefit is that by that way, users can login to the company network with their laptops as well..

Guys, is this why there's suck sketchy information on SIP phone setup? Because the best route would be a VPN gateway with the SIP phones? From my understanding the Avaya VPN phones create a VPN back to our firewall here. But you're saying that device to device (meaning device at the remote site and device here) would work a lot better?

Yes it does. If you use the same endpoint on both sites.

And you have tne benefit that you can logon a laptop to the companys network as well

We have a Fortinet VPN device on this end now. I suppose we could buy another for the remote users. The expense is quite a bit though. There is the benefit that we can then get their laptops to connect to our network, and then we can have administrative control over them. I really did want to get the phone to work without the VPN. At this point it's a vendetta to get it to work without the VPN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back