Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 9608G loses base extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyoung85

Technical User
Feb 13, 2016
CA
thread940-1781577

The thread was closed but we are experiencing the same issue with IP Office Preferred Edition 10.1.0.5. The 9608G phones are at 6.8102.

When the IP Office reboots or the IP Phones (9608G) reboots,the phone will lose its base extension.

Ex :
Extension : 2601
User : 2117 (not really important as the user will change on a daily basis)

There's a power failure or reboot of either the IP Phone or IP Office. The IP Phone will ask for the extension and password. Once the base extension entered, the phone will be in a No User state and the user can login.

There is an IP Office Line for an SCN with another IP Office. All resiliency options are turned off.

Is there actually a user for the base extension? The fact that it goes to a no user state, even after you log back into the base extension, seems to imply there is not one.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Anyway... Without the base extension user
the phone should register the extension though. Even if it shows 'No user' then.

I guess I have also seen systems where after a reboot the logged in user where logged in again after a reboot.

IP Office remote service Fixed price SIP trunk configuration: CLI based cale blocking: SCN fallback over PSTN:

No, there is no user created with the same extension. We do this since they move around on a daily basis and share phones. This works fine on many other systems.

The base extension is configured in the IP Office. Normal behaviour is for the phone to register to this base extension and be in a No User state following a reboot.
The following thread has the exact same issue The thread was closed without any solution.

This is a known issue we've tried raising to Avaya a couple of times but not been able to get a final fix. Sorry that it's not much help but raise a case and see if you can get any progress on it.

I had this issue on 10.1.0.5 when I had password set on extensions.

I removed it since it's only needed if running Media Encryption which solved the issue for me.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

I removed the password from the base extension as janni78 suggested. The phone seems stable after 9 days.

Alternative would be for a base extension and "home user" match, where the home user is just a filler extension,ie Float123, then have employees hot desk as they use the desk, *36 when completed.
This way you maintain the passwords on the base extensions, which (i believe) are required at R11. If upgraded, this seems like it might be a longer term solution.

It doesn't matter if the user match, it's an issue with that software version.

And as it says in the documentation, extension password is only required if Media Security is enabled

The password that must be entered as part of phone registration. This password is used to secure registration of H.323 phones when there is no matching user to authenticate against. Required if Media Security is enabled.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back