Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 9608 Phones - SpDial Option on the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjuser

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2013
US
We just upgraded to Avaya 9608 Phones and some users were used to having Speed Dials on the 5610SW phones. I read in the User Guides for the 9608 phones that they do support 10 speed dials. What do I need to do from an administrator's end (in IP Office?) to enable Speed Dial. And hopefully I can do it as one of the primary button on the bottom left of the screen, like the 5610SW ones had.

Any insights on this?

Thanks!

May i ask who sold the system to you?
And did they send you here for those questions?

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

You need to read the 4600lanadmin guide and the 9600 admin guide, especially the part of FTP backup.
It is more convenient to use the Avaya user directory which can hold upto 10000 records divided over the number of users you have.
And these can be maintained in the IP Office Manager. And these are not stored in the phone so a replacement will not mean a loss of speeddial numbers.

A simple mind delivers great solutions

A certified Avaya reseller sold us the phones. They originally put in our Avaya system and got us some good prices on the phones. Just a couple people were upgraded. We still are running 5610SW phones on the rest.

I normally come on here first if I can't figure it out because the answers are generally faster and easier to understand :)

Reading the user manual for the 9608 it shows this…
---------------------------
Setting up speed dialing
You can assign speed dial numbers to up to 10 people in your contact list. Then when you want
to call a speed dial contact, simply press the number you've assigned to that person.
1. Press Home
2. Select Options & Settings...
3. Press Select or OK
4. Scroll to Assign Speed Dial Entries....
If your telephone does not display the Assign Speed Dial option, your administrator
has not made this feature available.

Thank you Intrigrant for the guide links. I read through the 9600 admin and still couldn't find exactly how to enable the speed dial option for users.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

The Speed Dial option you are reffering to is only available for Avaya Communication Manager and not for IP Office.
IP Office is smaller but a lot smarter as his big brother.
The IP Office holds the speed dials for the users and not the phone, this override the limit of ten numbers.
On the phone simply press the CONTACTS button and add a new contact.
When you want to call a contact then press the CONTACT button and enter the name with the dial pad.
So if you want to call Avaya then you press the CONTACT button dial 28292 and then press the dial soft key, during dialling 28292 the phone will search the phonebook for the closest match and as soon as there is only one match left you can press dial.
If Avaya is the only contact starting with AV then you hust press 28 and dial.

Know your product and become a Pro

I just did something like this to simulate speed dials for a new install. They had about 50 speed dials on there old system numbered 01....50.

I just imported their speed dial number + name,

01 ABC Co.
02 CBS Co.
34 EFG Co.

Hit contacts button, dial 34 and EFG Co. pops right up. This worked well because the staff already had speed dials memorized or had a cheat seat.

You can always put into the users personal directory and Give it and index number. 00 to 99. Make a shortcode like #9XX/speed dial/N it will auto dial that index number. Make it 9N so it will dial out, or just prepend a 9 to each directory entry. Can do the same for system directory, but that is 000 to 999.

-Austin
ACE: Implement IP Office
qrcode.png

In some countries ( the most I think ) it is common usage to dial a zero (0) for a external line, if you are lucky enough to live in one of these countries then replace the 9 in AACon's example with a zero.
There are even a smaller number of very beautiful countries were it is common usage not to have a access code at all, if you are very lucky you live in such a beautiful country and don't use the 9 or 0.
You can expand the example to the system directory but then the index number is three digits long enabling upto 1000 speeddial entries.
The system directory can be imported/exported as a csv file, the user directory unfortunally not (yet, is under RFA).

Know your product and become a Pro

Yeah, and it can be imported with index numbers too (now), which is FRIGGIN AWESOME.

-Austin
ACE: Implement IP Office
qrcode.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back