Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 84xx Telephones on IP Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEAXMAN

Technical User
May 21, 2014
US
Hello everyone,

Have a question here, does anyone know if you can use the 84xx phones on an IP406V2? I know that Avaya does not support this, but am wondering if I can plug one in on my test/lab system at home. I love the 84xx series telephones from Avaya, and would love to be able to use them. If anyone has been able to get these sets to work, could you let me know what release it was?

Thanks!

They won't work and where not supported at any release.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

6400 sets were the only Definity phones that ever worked I think so get some of those but officially they are also no longer supported or get the 4400 sets from the Magix series if you need to save money.
Good part is that they never need to firmware upgrade if you upgrade the system
bad part is that they never firmware upgrade so you have what you have and if something doesn't work 100% then that is what you have to live with.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

“This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I had 84xx Phone working on IP Office in lab, long - long time ago. If Your 406 is Pre R3.0/R2.1 they kinda work.
64xx Phones will work on all release IPO, even though they were not supported the last few releases. This would be your best bet if You love older definity Phones.
I would stay away from 44xx Phones, they are not as reliable as other digital sets.

Thanks everyone for your responses. AndrePa, when you say kinda working, does this mean that you have a working display, line and call appearances? Do the ringers work? I would have thought since the 84xx phones and 64xx phones are all Avaya Definity that they would share a common proprietary protocol.

Thanks!

84xx phones, with 4400D, and 6402D were blocked after R3.

I have a 8405 laying around, so I tried it on a 500 R7 w/ DS16.
Phone dose power up, You can change ring tone, and hear touch tones when number are pressed. However, you will not get a dial tone, You will not be able to dial out, and none of the call appearances worked.
You will not get incoming calls, but caller will get ringback tone as if extension was ringing.

If memory serves Me right, I did have 8410D working on R2.1, ( maybe R2.0 )
That was many, many years ago, when Merlin Magix EOS was announced. Now that I think about it it's more like a decade ago.

You could try R4.1(15), as 96xx phones wR1.5 firmware were not blocked on 406/412/SOE. I also remember trying a 8434 for the hell of it, and I was able to make calls, receive calls, dial out, but display didn't work, even with power brick. Cant remember if any, or the first 10, or all 34 call appearances worked.

If You like definity phones, get some 6408/6416/6424 They work good on IPO.

Yes, I do love the 6400 sets and that is what I primarily use. I'm going to try to get an old 8410d for fun cheap off of eBay and see what happens with it. In reality I am only gambling about 20 bucks or less.

The 6400 series phones look very similar to the Nortel M2000 series telephones. The styling and button layouts are very close to each other. Very impressive phones and look like big enterprise sets even though the system is very small.

I had no idea that you could use 96xx phones on the 4.1 release of IP406. I thought it had to be on IP500 with release 7 for some reason. In addition to the 8410 I might try to find an old 96xx IP phone off of eBay, too. Thanks for everyone's help!

I'm hard pressed to believe you could get a single pair (not dual pair) 8410 to work. I know the 6400 firmware is based on the 8400 series - that's not new, but I would be shocked out of my skin if you could get it to work. I'm assuming you would need a 6408d set-type as they both have 8-buttons and would be the closest emulation.

Again, I would love to think we could trick Avaya on this, but I don't think so...

The 6400 sets excelled over the M2000 sets because of their unique softkeys under the display. But if you look at the button layout, even the Red hold button, it's clear they were trying emulate a Nortel M2000 or M5000 set.

"Keep the Peace, Use RLS"

Really? There are so similarities I guess?

Most large business here in Canada use M2616s. Very rare to see 6400 series from Avaya up here. You are more likely to see a 9600 series IP phone before a 6400 series phone.

The 6424D+ is probably one of my most favourite phones (I actually demanded that set type in my employee contract - and got it! [talk]).

I found a $35 white 6424 set on eBay where I can make an offer on buying it. New in box.....that's a great looking set.
I love how you can personalize the buttons and they stay in the holders.

I actually was surprised when I stayed at the Rogers Centre Toronto back in 2005 that the phones at the front desk were Avaya 6408s with Nortel Quick Touch in the rooms.
Figured I would see M2000 or M3900 sets.

"Keep the Peace, Use RLS"

The Key word in that sentence is "ROGERS". Roger's used to LOVE Avaya. I have no clue why? Mr. Rogers said all his phones used to have to be Avaya. They were even painted red in some cases.

So the reason the Rogers' Centre was Avaya is because Rogers' loved them.

You won't see this now. They have replaced everything with Cisco. When Mr. Rogers died, so to did the Avaya relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back