Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 4690 Discovering???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCP2000

MIS
May 24, 2002
US
All:

One of my offices recently purchased two 4690 conference sets to be used on a stand-alone S8300/G700. They were unable to get it to work, so I had them ship one of them to me. I have also been unable to get it to work on a S8720.

I have created the 4690 to 4620 alias. I have statically assigned IP addresses to bypass any DHCP issues. The problem is that once it comes up, everything works fine up to the point that it pings the TFTP server. It pings the TFTP server one time, and then it goes to "Discovering...". That's all I get. It never asks for an extension. I am using firmware v 2.005. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Try backing the sets down to v1.770 and see if that helps. Avaya had me do that when I experienced a similar issue and it was corrected by the down rev.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find that one. I was always told, however, that you couldn't do a "major version" downgrade. I guess that only applies to desk sets??

I think so, as I didn't have any issues dropping mine back from 2.005. I just plucked the '4690_010707.bin' from a previous firmware release and then did a search within the 46xxupgrade.scr file and replaced any reference of the 4690_02005.bin to the older code. Worked fine.

well, i got the firmware downloaded, but still no luck. I have tried to change the Call Server between local and remote CLANs, but I get the same thing... "Discovering". I can't figure out what the problem is. I know people have these working, but I can't seem to make this happen. I have tried them on everything from a G3r V11 to S8720 CM 3.1.4.

Any ideas??

MCP2000
Did you ever get a resolution for the 4690 "discovering"?

I did resolve it. The local office had a terrible LAN architecture. Several devices in the path, different brands, models, and no one had access to check configurations. I had them connect the phone directly to the G700, and it worked fine. Once the took 3 of the 4 switches out of the picture, everything worked fine. It is almost like there was a hop limit on the phone.

Thanks Bud
I have a similar issue the 4690 is on and LSP and the gatekeeper is the S8500 on the core site.
The phone aquires its ip address, subnet, gatekeeper and tftp info from the local DHCP, then I see it ping the TFTP , then it initialises and drops to " Discovering..." indefinately.So it clearly cannot see the gatekeeper (S8500)but I would expect it to see the alternate GK which is the local LSP but? I have plugged a 4610 in place of the 4690 and that registers without any problems..........how could one ip set work and not the other type, so i tried another new 4690, same result......its very wierd. tried different fw loads 1.7; 2.0; 2.3 nothing works. The WAN engineers wont take a look at anything as the 4610 sets work using same route? do you think it would bare any fruit if i were to mirror the switch port and watch the registration request with somethink like packetizer?

If you have the ability to do that... then do it. I was working from Atlanta trying to get it working in Santa Barbara, so there was no way I could see where it was being connected. Since the local folks have no one to manage their LAN, no one had access to check the switch configurations. Assuming everything is wide open, there are not VLANs, etc., I think there is a hop limit of some kind on the phones, because we did the same test with a 4610 in place of the 4690. The 4610 worked with no problem, but the 4690 just got stuck in "Discovering...". When we moved the 4690 closer (logically) to the G700/S8300, then it worked. You could do the 4690 users a great favor by documenting the registration request process of those devices. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back