Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 3616 & SVP problems!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkigephart

Programmer
Aug 13, 2004
US
Okay, I'm really getting frustrated now with this whole process of figuring out these new spectralink phone, please help me.

I received two 3616's from my VP and he wants me to see if they will work on our network. I already have VoIP configured and have Avaya (proxim/agere) AP-3's throughout our facility & I configured them for the spectralink VoIP feature to be enabled. I uploaded the firmware to the 3616 via the tftp server. The firmware came from the spectralink website. I have all the information entered statically, and I have connectivity to my LAN. My only problem is that I receive the error "NO SVP RESPONSE." I do not have an SVP from Avaya or Spectralink. I know that buying one will solve this issue, but unfortunately I cannot at this time. I have read docs from the Spectralink website that an SVP server is not required to run the phone, although it can only handle a maximum of 7 VoIP phones at a maximum of 2Mbps. I have my AP's set to run at 2Mbps also. I just can't figure out how to get around the SVP as no docs explain how to set up the 3616 without the SVP. I also tried to put my AP in as the SVP address, but no luck. With the firmware I downloaded, I am required to put in an address for the SVP. I tried to blank it out, all 0's and all 1's (255.255.255.255) and they would not take. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction???? Also, at the top of the display, it reads "1234 7." What does that mean? I read in another thread that avaya SVPP is required, but I have read docs that state otherwise???? Has anyone successfully used a 3616 without the SVP? Also my 3616 only communicates with the network when the license mode is set to 009. When I switch to 007, it displays "NO NET ACCESS." My ESSID is set to learn.

OK, i have set this up in our office and the moment i disconnect the svp, the phone dies. I dont see how yu can make this work without the unit. The SVP is only required if you are using Avaya equipment. If you want to run it in a different setting, you need to change the firmware as the one you loaded is specifically for avaya equipment.

I tried to change the firmware to a different version that was offered by spectralink, but the problem is that the "AVAYA" 3616 looks for files specific to the Avaya version from the tftp. Therefore the different firmware won't load. I was thinking of maybe renaming the files to match the names of the Avaya files, but then I didn't want to "lock up" the phone possibly and have an unrecoverable error. I was also thinking that if I do change the firmware, than it will not work anyway because I need the the call server and port info specific to Avaya, right? Thanks MRJEDI for your input...

I definitely wouldn't try using another firmware unless instructed by Spectralink. I doubt very much it work because each firmware contains the specific codecs and settings for each switch type and it might render the phone unusable. I doubt that would be covered under warranty. I found the doc you were talking about and it says it's still in testing. I haven't seen any other docs or statements from Spectralink stating you don't need the SVP. Might require a new firmware once it's ready.

Is the only QoS device available for the Avaya wireless VoIP the AVPP (Spectralink SVP) referred to as the SVP100a?

I cannot find any other devices to support SVP. I have to present my VP with the proposal and I was hoping to have a few options. Also, if it is the only device, where can I buy it??? It seems to be such a hard device to find...

Thanks DUSTINN3 for your input...

Yes the AVPP is the Avaya svp server, part number svp100a.

I bought ours with 10 brand new phones off ebay for $2300, but I've never seen another 3600 set or AVPP for sale from anywhere but a business partner. Evidently, nobody gets rid of them, and I can see why, they work great. It's close to $1500 from a business partner, but you might check CDW if you have a business account. They really gave me a good deal on a couple of 3626's I just bought.

I put in an email to Spectralink to see where they were at on a solution without the AVPP, curious as well.

From what I've researched, the new 802.11e protocol will handle the wireless QoS issues and will eliminate the need for the stinkin' SVP. It is in the works with the IEEE boyz as well as the 802.11i protocol for enhanced security... Goodbye WEP!!!

Thanks Dustinn3 for your input...

You need the SVP until 802.11e is ratified and updates in the 3616 and AP's firmware is available with the 802.11e. The only way this will work is with the SVP, the 3616's send all their packets to the SVP and it forwards the IP packets to the Medpro/CLAN.

Without the Avaya version of the firmware the 3616 don't run a H.323 stack that is compatible with the Avaya Comm Manager.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,
VOIPEng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back