Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 2420 digital phone - keeps trying to connect to TFTP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteta

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2012
US
Not to sound stupid here, but I'm supposed to be able to use the Avaya 2420 digital on my IP Office 403 that I use for my home office system. Do you have to apply different firmware to the 2420 to make it a digital set vs an IP phone?

2420 is digital, you can't change any Avaya phone from IP to digital or vice versa at the moment.

If you connect the phone to the IP403 then you need to look in the system programming what is set as file server but most likely it is set to be the Manager application.
Leave the Manager running when you plug in the phone and it should grab new firmware if needed. There are only 3 levels of Firmware for the phone 2.0 (old) 5.0 (works and has all you most likely need) and 6.0 (like 5.0 with added Chinese characters)

when you plug in the phone it will show on the top the firmware level and if you have 5.0 or 6.0 then don't worry about upgrading if the phone works without. If it wants an upgrade make sure that your manager has the Preferences set to use teh Manager directory to supply the files from there and also if it is a newer Manager that TFTP server is checked on and that there is no other application on that PC/Server already using port 69 (do a netstat -a to find out)

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Here's the deal. I have an IP Office 403 module, not using any IP phones, just have a combination of 6408's, 6416's. I picked up a 2420 and plug it into a working port and its displaying old information from the previous user I imagine, and its waiting for a TFTP server connection. If I'm just using as a digital non IP phone, can it still do firmware updates over the digital connection?

Never mind, I figured it out! I rebooted the IP Office 403 and when it reconnected, it downloaded firmware and the phones working fine now.

When in doubt......reboot! :0 )

Westi,

Something weird occurred after the 2420 came up and started working following the reboot of the IP Office controller. All programming had defaulted, I was back at square one with everything, all the station programming, line configurations.....gone. Was this due to plugging the 2420 in and requiring firmware changing? I find it kind of odd that this happened, I performed a reboot, not an erase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back