Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 1140e IP Phone no call log or missed calls 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2011
US
Hey folks,
Here's the prob. I've got a Nortel CS1000e v5.5 and have been using my IP Avaya 1140e phone for a few years now.
We finally found a use for the rest of the 8 phones to be deployed and the users are asking for the missed call and Call log feature.

I've never needed or wanted it, so there wasn't a reason to look into it in the past. I've gone into the phone by selecting the
button <services> then selecting "Telephone Options" and selecting "Call Log Options".
1. Incoming Calls have Log Mode: "ALL CALLS" New Call Indication: "ON".
2. Preferred Name Match: "OFF"

CNDA feature is "Allowed"

I've called myself from external (cell phone) and internal (co-workers desk) and neither way are any logs left on the IP phones.
The M3904's throughout the company (non IP) all work well with call logs and missed calls, so I've pretty much eliminated any PBX settings being at fault.

What am I missing? is the Avaya 1140e IP Phone not equipped with this feature, despite the manuals stating that it can.

Are you using a Signalling Server as the configuration is done there.

CS1000
The NTPs covering installation of the Application Server for Personal Directory, Callers List and Redial List can be a bit contradictory and confusing. Semi-official guidance from Nortel software support offers some helpful tips:

Application server for Personal Directory, Callers List, and Redial List
The database for the Personal Directory, Callers List, and Redial List features for IP Phones must be located on one Signaling Server. The applications cannot be divided: all users in a system either have the combined Personal Directory, Callers List, and Redial List features or no feature at all.

****The Signaling Server can support a database for up to 9000 users. ****

• Personal Directory: Stores up to 100 entries per user of user names and DNs.
• Callers List: Stores up to 100 entries per user of caller ID information and most recent call time.
• Redial List: Stores up to 20 entries per user of dialed DNs and received Call Party Name Display with time and date.

The Signaling Server requires a minimum of 512 MByte of memory in order to support the Personal Directory, Callers List, and Redial List applications.

If the system size is relatively small, in terms of number of users as well as calling rates, one Signaling Server can serve both database and normal Signaling Server functions. With the Personal Directory, Callers List, and
Redial List database co-resident with other applications (TPS, H.323/SIP Gateways, NRS, Element Manager), a Signaling Server with 512 MByte of memory can serve up to 1000 IP users and 382 Virtual Trunks.

For larger systems, one additional Signaling Server, on top of the normal requirement for handling signaling traffic, is required for the Personal Directory, Callers List, and Redial List features. This must be configured as a standalone server with set TPS, Gateway and NRS applications disabled (see also Orbit entry headed 'Recommendations on adding a standalone 'Personal Directory/Redial List/Callers List' server to a CS1000 node or network' ) AND must be in a separate node from the TPS servers, so that it can never assume the node leadership. If it were to assume leadership of the node, with TPS disabled, it would prevent any IP sets from registering to any Sig Server.

Summary of procedures

' Insert software CD in the drive and reboot the server
' Set this server as a Leader
' Choose the co-resident application option
' Select 'none' for the NRS configuration
' Select a Node number which is different from the main IP Telephony Node
' After software installation and server reboot, login and disable VTRK and TPS
' Install patches via Element Manager

Signaling Server memory requirements
Co-resident with other applications: <= 1000 IP users: <= 382 virtual trunks: 512 MB memory required
Standalone: 1000 - 6000 IP users: 512 MB memory required
Stand alone: 6000 – 9000 IP users: 1 GByte memory required
Stand alone: 9000 - 15000 IP users: 2GB memory required (CPPM or COTS server, not ISP1100)

Note: from rls 5 on, 1GB is required for all Sig Servers

The command pdNumOfUsers in vxshell can be used to determine the actual number of users registered.

There is no redundancy for the Signaling Server dedicated to the Personal Directory, Callers List, and Redial List database. If that Signaling Server fails, the system loses those applications. However, the other Signaling
Servers continue to function normally without the Personal Directory, Callers List, and Redial List features.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thanks Firebird Scrambler, that was a plethora of information.

We do have a Signaling Server 306m ibm, and I've assumed that if the Digital sets M3904 have the ability to obtain caller information and missed calls on these sets, that the IP 1140e should as well.

Aside from time synchronizing I've stayed out of the Telephony Manager Rls 3.2

I would like to add that a personal directory isn't setup or used, meaning that a database hasn't been created for any of the sets to pull from. The M3904 digitals just gather the CNID and store the info, which led me to believe that the IP's should be working the same way.

Call log on the M39xx series from provided from the phones themselves. Call log on the IP phones is a function of the Signalling Server and has to be setup before logging will work on the IP phones.

saaphoneguy, check the following settings in Element Manager:

IP Network ➤ IP Telephony Nodes ➤ Personal Directories (PD)
Check box next to Personal Directory Server: Enable Personal Directory (PD) service on this node.

IP Network ➤ Personal Directories ➤ Server Configuration
Enter the ELAN Signaling Server IP address at Server IP Address

Well, this project/issue is going to the back burner. More critical emergency arose and almost done fixing new problem. (PBX kept rebooting on it's own - turns out the network broadcasting was exceeding limits) Thanks everyone for your input. I'll dive into these suggestions when time permits. Again, thanks all[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back