Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avast (Free) vs Avira(Free)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sggaunt

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
GB
Some people have suggested that the 'Host process for windows stopped working' message that I get after doing a windows update, might be caused by AVG (see Vista forum).

So I am thinking about replacing it with one of apps mentioned in the thread title.

Avira has the best detection rate (slightly), but are there any other reasons to choose one before the other?

A minus point for Avira (I run it on a Laptop) is the annoying 'Notification' window that pops up every time it updates. But do you get the same with Avast?

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

My preference is for Avast!, you can tweak and control it a little better, I think.

If you're looking for the best overall AV product, currently, for Windows, I'd suggest Windows Security Essentials #1, and then Avira Antivir.

Avira sometimes has false positives, though it's no where near as annoying as it was several years ago. MSE seems to be accurate 99.999% of the time, and it's super simple.

Also, check around for ratings on what they actually find, how well they remove them, etc. You'll find MSE being top notch! Plus it's free for business use, at least for small businesses.

I've detected malware up to 40 minutes sooner than MSE just by using Explorer, I can't do that with Avira/Avast! - they flag it as flag it within a few seconds of me opening the folder.

My vote goes to Avast. It's easy to use and friendly whilst still being very tweakable. It's also compatible with MSE so you can run both. But mainly I like it because of the speed with which the respond if you have any problems. I have had 2 issues lately, one with network shares and one with gadgets moving by themselves. The network share issue was fixed with an update within 48 hours, the gadgets one I only reported this morning and already had a response from support. As it's in the nature of an annoyance and not critical I can wait on that one for a while.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

I just remembered one reason why I don't have Aviar on my main machine, I doesn't have email protection AVG does. (This is also the reason I don't use the Microsoft system.)

I don't know about Avast, but am checking now.

Hmm, I think it does?

Actually, I read up on the "email protection" deal, and without going into detail (b/c frankly, I've forgotten the detail), there is no such thing as just "email protection". Basically, if the AV app is scanning everything coming and going, then it is automatically scanning email for viruses as well.

But to each his own. [smile]

I've honestly not even looked at Avast! in some time. Last time I tried it was several years ago, and the interface sorta got on my nerves, so I pulled the plug on it.

In thinking no this subject, and searching around a little, I found this:

One thing stuck out to me there - "Behavior Blocker" in Avast!. Anybody know much about "Behavior Blocker" - is it really something different enough to be given a category all to itself in a product comparison? From the short description in the review, it sounded to me like it's just one of many networks out there where the AV program takes back info from the installations, so it can build better protection against threats.

kjv this is from the Avira website

AV MailGuard,is an email scanner for POP and SMTP which scans for viruses and unwanted programs every incoming email and attachment and even outgoing ones, if so configured.

Somthing simular is built into AVG Free, but this is an add on(not free) to Avira Free edition

I've just received my first popup from the Avast! behavior shield (indirectly as a result of following the dottech link).

Scenario: downloaded and installed TweakNowPowerPack via K-Meleon, my preferred browser. Ran the TNPP from the final page of the installer, discovered that Bittorrent DNA had been silently registered as an autostart (I had to use it to download a chipset driver earlier today), I then unchecked the autostart and applied it - BANG! popup from Avast!
An untrusted program is trying to modify a protected resource.
Program: ... K-Meleon.exe
Resource: System auto-start settings (terminal services)

Actions to take: Deny (there are more choices on the dropdown)
(I clicked Advanced for more details:)
Target object: \Registry\Users\ ... \BitTorrent DNA
Request routed via: C:\Program Files (x86) ... \Powerpack.exe
To me, that looks like a good catch (1 program installing another, triggering it and it then attempts to modify something unrelated (and 'protected')) and I'd say it's a useful addition.

sggaunt,

I don't doubt they have additional programming there, but look at who is telling you about it - the program manufacturer who also wants to sell the extra piece.

I had asked some questions about it somewhere in the past, as well as carried out a lot of searching and reading. Right now, I'm not about to research it farther, as the info was good, and I don't really think it'd be any different now.

Basic premise: If program checks everything coming and going, then no need for a separate special protection for one piece of that coming and going data.. email or whatever.

But besides that, I do usually keep Online Armor or Comodo firewall running on all PCs at home - which have their own built-in protections for program running, etc... and I use the noscript and adblock type browser plug-ins.. so having yet another program checking the same thing seems superfluous there as well..

Sorry if it seemed I got to rambling... was on a phone call and typing as thinking at same time. [smile]

kjv
The AVG email system works like this.
It establishes a local 'server' then in my case windows mail is reconfigured to route incoming and outgoing email through the AVG server. That way bad stuff get checked before any files are transferred to the computer storage. I know it does this because half the time, you have to configure the server manually to get it working!
If its not done this way with POP3/SMPT then files get transferred then checked, which is not as safe.

I gotcha. I can see how it would seem safer that way, assuming you use Outlook or one of the many other email clients. In our case, we use webmail primarily. I use Outlook at home some but not all that much. Then again, since messing around with Office 2010, I seem to be using it a little more than over the past few years. Personally, I LOVE the new Outlook 2010 layout and features compared to previous versions, but that's another topic. [smile]

Of course, when it sets up that server, it's setting it up on your PC anyway, which requires it pull in the files to said server... unless it's using a remote server, which I highly doubt.

I used AVG as my primary AV for several years, but have dropped it for a combination (or sometimes one or the other) of Avira and MSE. AVG started going downhill according to many tests I had read a few years ago. Last I checked this year, though, it looks like they've gotten better, at least somewhat.

Maybe one day I'll try it out again. That's what is nice about the free programs (for home use) - you can try it for as long as you want, and just uninstall if you don't like... if you want more out of a particular one, they usually have a paid option as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back