Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avast causing BSOD - Anyone else having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I've just built a new PC, loads of problems but finally got it running.

However from Friday I found AVG would no longer update, so I decided as this has happened more than once with the AVG update server refusing to update, I would try out Avast.

However, I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not, but I've had a couple of BSoD's (IRQ not greater than or equal to) and I'm wondering if it is related to putting Avast on my system or not.

Has anyone else experienced BSoD's using Avast?

Cheers,

1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

I've used Avast on quite a few machines recently, and haven't seen any BSOD yet. Does it continue if you uninstall or disable Avast?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I know, that's going to be my next test.

But I have been up and running for hours and hours prior to Avast going on!

I was connected with MS Vista SP1 support for 3-4hours the other weekend while they tried to resolve my SP1 woes.

Which they couldn't so eneded up having to re-install again!

Didn't get a single BSoD, until Avast went on.

But I haven't taken it off and seen how I go, however, If I take it off, what AV do I run? AVG update has stopped working 'AGAIN', which is the reason I put Avast on in the first place.

hmm, OK my OC might be a bit unstable, I guess I'll have to uninstall Avast, disconnect from internet and play Assasin Creed or something for a few hours and see how it goes.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

You can always throw 3Dmark on a loop, should playing games be too much of a chore ;)

I've not tried many AVs aside from AVG and Avast, but you would probably be ok not running any while you did some testing.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Well the last thing I left to run yesterday was a full system scan by Avast, went back up to check progress and was confronted by windows logon prompt.

Which means it crashed and rebooted at some point :-(

Maybe I'll have to load Sophos back on instead!

IRQ not greater than or equal to...
This is usually an indicator of a hardware problem. I've seen this on bad memory, a bad CPU, a bad hard drive, and a bad motherboard. Is is possible that something is overheating? Maybe the heat sink slipped off the CPU.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Maybe the heat sink slipped off the CPU.

Nope, the Zalman is well and truely seated on the CPU, at Idle my temps are @ 18c -> 28c , and go up to @ 35c when centyral heating on and PC in use.

So it certainly isn't a heat problem.

The CPU has been working fine for 2 years, the mobo is new , the memory is new and the VGA is new, oh and the SCSI HD is new also.

MD when I sent the Mobo back as faulty, sent it back saying nothing wrong, but I'm beginning to wonder.

I'm really losing the will to live with this Asus hardware!

did a bit of googling and found the following....
Here's the fix for it and it has nothing to do with drivers but with the PC
trying to over run the BIOS' IRQ device assignemt.

When you get such an error message. Perform the following steps.

To resolve this problem, perform the following steps:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Press the <F8> key to display the Windows XP startup menu.

3. Press the <Down Arrow> key to select Safe Mode Command Prompt and then
press the <Enter> key.

4. Click to select the Administrator account.

5. Type cd\ and then press the <Enter> key.
The c:\> prompt appears.
c:\> attrib -r boot.ini

6. Type edit boot.ini and then press the <Enter> key.
The boot.ini screen appears.

7. Under the boot.ini screen under the Operating system section you will
have a path as shown below.
[operating system]
device=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"Microsoft windows xp home
edition"

8. Type a switch "/pcilock" after typing you will see the path as shown
below.
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"Microsoft windows xp home edition"
/pcilock

9. By doing so windows stops dynamically assigning the irq's(Interrupt
Request) to the devices and
It takes the irq's assigned by the BIOS.

10. So this is going to solve the issue and also by following this article
we can
Even overcome the bangs on the cd drives.dvd drives after upgrading the
system to windows xp from windows me/98 etc.

AND

Of course, there is a still easier solution instead of
using the switch. It is to turn off, or disable, PnP OS
in the bios setup. Does the same thing.

(As an aside, most well-behaving applications should not
trip this BSOD. However, some games do take over or need
their own, unique resource settings that may conflict
with those forced by the Windows OS. These conflicts can
occur at any time since PC's are not a monolithic platform
but a hodgepodge of similar parts coming from a number of
different manufacturers.)

What's others thoughts on this being the problem / resolution?

Well , so far so good, though I bet as soon as I post this i'll get a BSoD - rofl

What i've done , which seems to be working.

1stly, disabled Marvell IDE controller alltogether, I left it enabled even though it didn't work with SCSI in the PCI-X slot, so thought to be on safe side, i'd just disable it.

I then changed PnP OS to 'No' , as per above post.

I also noticed leaving vCore on Auto , Asus was putting 1.45v through it, so I dropped it manually to 1.35v, booted fine , still OC @ 3.37ghz!

I then started a thourough scan in Avast and been running for @ 35mins now, no problems.

Running scan, reading email and suring net, PC-Probe showing CPU temp @ 25c , so all good there! Infact Mobo temp shows higher @ 27c

One thing that scared the hell out of me, Avast found a trojan in my temp files ? dunno where from..

Jezus, that alarm and voice, wasn't expecting that, nearly fell out my chair!

let's hope it finishes scan without any more BSoD's or hiccups!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back