Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Available Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyxpurr

Programmer
Feb 24, 2003
US
Just wanted to test the water...

Has anyone looked at the job market in IT as of late? I was just browsing through Monster yesterday and noticed a bunch of analyst/programmer jobs available. Much better than last time I checked.

Anyone else watching the market via job postings?

(BTW I'm in AZ)

Dimandja,

I am not 100% sure, got to do a research, but think it's back to Latin for some time now. And, though I don't know the language, I believe it has somewhat changed over the years of separate development in different environments. Though still very, very close.

Yes, Stella[, it's back to Latin.

"Moldovan is a dialect of Romanian with about 2.6 million speakers in Moldova. Until 1989, Moldovan was written with the Cyrillic alphabet. In 1989 Moldovan was declared the official language of Moldova and the Romanian version of the Latin alphabet was adopted."

From

Language History questions would be quite appropriate in forum1256.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

It seems, 11011110000 was hinting that we wandered far from the original topic?

acidbrain said:
Guys, come to Romania, you'll find lots and well paid analyst/programmer jobs. Very well paid ones.
Nope, I don't think we wandered that far off. I'd like to at least find Romania on a map.

Well, if we don't, then I would like to know also, on what country's standards programming jobs in Romania are very well paid. How does it compare with Romanian average income and how much would it be in US $?

Hmm.. at least we are on the map :) It's not that bad..
As about the income.. the basic sallary is about 90$ and a good programmer would gain about 600-1500$, something like this, maybe more. That would be a nice income. Let's just take the max. income, by us a USD i 30.500 romanian money (lei)
multiply it's equal to 45.750.000 lei, and that's quite a fortune in here.

>As about the income.. the basic sallary is about 90$ and a good programmer would gain about 600-1500$...

Is this per hour, per day, per month, per year?

acidbrain -
Let me ask something -- if I were to start a software house in Romania, what percentage of my product sales would I lose to piracy? (I'm assuming that a lot of software there is copied).

What could someone do to change this?

Chip H.

Is this per hour, per day, per month, per year?
Something tells me this is per month.

It is per month. Isn't this good? :) As about a software house, it's a great ideea.
The software houses that are in here, have a great income. For example,
you do not have to write software for romanians, i now such houses that work for Germany and France ?!?!
You'd ask now : why can't i do a program at home and send it over to Germany?! That's because the value of "foreign" money
is not the same in other countries as it is here. There's one more thing. I'we spoken a couple of weeks ago wih a german friend
and told me that by him (he has a construction company) a single worker costs him in about 30-43 euro per hour
(sallary, health insurance and so on) and by us it's only 2-4 dollar /hour.
Here'a a remarkable diffrence between your money and ours. Why do you think people leave Romania and go to Spain to gather oranges?!
because after 3 months he comes home with 1000 euro. He's pleased and the employer too because he didn't have to pay a
full sallary as he does to normal spanish people. Piracy is everywhere, don't worry :)) but take a look at Bearshare and Kazza and so on,
where from are files downloaded?! not from Romania. Maybe there are 2-3 channels, no more. Piracy is not so huge in here, there are
few people hwo can crack e.g. a windows or an antivirus software. We just take cracks and stuff from foreign countries = piracy.
Software house is a great ideea.

Not sure about Romaina (bine!!!), but here in these ghost towns once known as Silicon Valley most of the commercial real estate share a common theme: "For Lease" signs.

I've weathered the storm here in the Sili Valley for 10 years now and consider myself lucky. Some people have been laid off for months, nay years and moved on to other jobs...Real Estate being the big winner. I notice contracts are becoming more plentiful, but the area is still oversaturated with loads of talent from around the world. Everyone seems to want to work at Google or Yahoo, etc.

As for the future, I see a combo of sales, technology, project management, and that all important DOD security clearance being required for any tech job in Los Estados Unidos as the only employeer left will be "The Man". Most private sector jobs in any hardcore development capacity (software/hardware/yaddayadda will be shipped to Bejing, Manila, Bangalore, Bukarest, and any other city which starts with a "B" excluding Boston of course! Such is the way of capitalism.

Just my opinion.

Happy Holidays :)

Let me ask something -- if I were to start a software house in Romania, what percentage of my product sales would I lose to piracy? (I'm assuming that a lot of software there is copied).

That all depends on your market.
Like everywhere shrinkwrapped software for end-users is pirated far more than shrinkwrapped software for companies.
And in turn that's pirated a lot more than custom built solutions.
While piracy figures (as a percentage of installed base) are likely higher in eastern Europe than they are in western Europe (where they are higher than in north America) they're lower than in most of Asia or Africa.

If you're going to release a new game for the punters, expect 90% piracy. But if you were building that game in the US you'd get 90% piracy in Romania (or Ukraine or whereever in the region) as well while development cost is higher.
So unless you're specifically creating software for a narrow market the actual percentage of pirated copies you'll get to deal with in a specific market doesn't matter much in a global economy.
You might even get more legitimate sales as there could be a hometown advantage in getting stores to stock it (as well as the lower development and shipping cost to the region can be used to sell it cheaper which might mean more sales as well).

Not saying you should move your shop from the US to eastern Europe because of that alone, just that piracy should not be a deciding factor.

Glad to inform you guys I've got contract position and I am getting interviewed frequently. I am in Philadelphia area.

But what I've noticed - when you send out tons of resumes at some point quantity turning into quality and you starting to go somewhere. As soon as you stop sending out -it takes time to get back on track. Long time.

So keep applying and don't give yourself any breaks.

Good luck

I know it's been awhile since I first posted this, but the irony of it all is that our company just announced we're being acquired and now I'm actually looking for jobs again.

So far, it's been one week since I started looking. I have three interviews scheduled with a good salary range and well-known companies. Cross your fingers for me!

Thanks everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back