Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Available Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyxpurr

Programmer
Feb 24, 2003
US
Just wanted to test the water...

Has anyone looked at the job market in IT as of late? I was just browsing through Monster yesterday and noticed a bunch of analyst/programmer jobs available. Much better than last time I checked.

Anyone else watching the market via job postings?

(BTW I'm in AZ)

I also have noticed that the job opportunities have started to open up in the past six months in the DC/Balt and NY/NJ/Phil areas.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

The number of listings on ComputerJobs.com for my area has doubled since 18 months ago (~525 to ~1100). Most of them seem to be for consulting companies, not direct-hires.

Chip H.

Last time I looked, six months ago, most jobs were rehashes of non-existant or already filled positions. Some companies collect resumes based on these phantom "openings" in order to fatten their portfolio.

I used to refer to this type of "openings" as netsam (inspired by flotsam).

From what I can tell, it's still slow here in the Heartland (KS). What is available is mostly on Wintel type platforms and involves the internet (not suprising). I think even the KC area is still slow. I haven't looked over there in a while though.

Atlanta has been steady even through the downturns as well.Seems as though it is picking up considerably in the last few months.

I am actively looking and getting responses. I am also noticed that job market in PA getting much better. It is very nice to hear from others that I am not just "imagining" thing out of desperation lol

Onyxpurr,

Hey, I am in AZ as well. Actually, Cave Creek, but close enough.

I have maintained (still maintain) that the job market has been bad - but not as bad as people "want" to believe. In my articles and prior post I am very careful to steer people away from job postings (either online or in ads) as a very effective determiner of opportunity.

It certainly is one indication - and it may very well indicate that employers are struggling to fill positions using other methods.

As Bolles pointed out 30 years ago in the first edition of, "What Color Is Your Parachute," want ads (job boards are want ads) are an employer's least desirable way to find talent. Employers first look to those internal, those they know, those other employees and industry peers know, and finally, the big gamble, want ads.

Employees on the other hand - start first with want ads - and often stay there. They meet the employer at the riskiest point.

Since everyone is "on commission", I advocate a more direct - get out there and meet people - knock on doors approach. It produces faster and generally qualitatively superior opportunities. You can also use this type of approach to create a more robust network of contacts and find companies that you might not have known existed.

While I have published articles on career development and provided seminars on the topic, I am an in-the-trenches technology and business consultant who has found the past few years to be rife with opportunity.

In fact, for many of the companies I consult for, they have had no one enter their company off the streets looking for work. Sales people don't count. It is like having no competition and holding a virtual monopoly.

In any case, it is worth considering. Some people don't like the idea of going "door to door" to find work. I don't either. But I like being underpaid, underemployed, and underappreciated even more.

The fact is, my current primary client has paid me nearly $100k in the past year, I work 2 half-days onsite and the rest of my time is done from home. I spend 1/2 day every other week visiting other local companies and focus all my efforts within 15 miles of my house - I don't like commuting even when I do it rarely.

This is not a "Look at me, aren't I great!" post. I work very hard to make this working arrangement and have met several others who do the same - or that I have helped do the same. I focus my attention solely on finding those opportunities and DO NOT WAIT until companies call me. I find them at their point of need - and the only way I can do that is by wearing down the soles of a nice pair of shoes.

Just an idea.

Matthew Moran

I appreciate the feedback Matthew. Especially because currently I have an odd position and regular online postings may not be most successful way for me to get a position.

I'm not planning on looking for a new position, but you never know...

Currently I'm a business programming analyst but with a focus on MS Access and SQL for my database development. My strengths are really in analysis and project management. I'll have my Master's in MISM come May.

In the past, I've always applied for Admin Asst positions, so usually a temp agency has been successful in placing me. However, now I'm a professional, I wasn't sure how I could successfully seek employment.

So I do appreciate your words of advice, and also explaining your experience and background. This lets me know you know what you're talking about.

Thanks again!!!

Onyxpurr,

Since you are in Phoenix, this might interest you. I am speaking at an AZ Sales Pros meeting on Wednesday, the 10th, in the Scottsdale Airpark.

This is more of a sales presentation but it is drawn from years of selling technology services (in particular, my services) if you or someone else you know in Phoenix is interested, it should be a good meeting.

I am not directly affiliated with AZ Sales Pros and draw nothing for this engagement - the fee they charge ($12) probably hardly covers facility and the buffet.

Matthew Moran

Guys, come to Romania, you'll find lots and well paid analyst/programmer jobs. Very well paid ones.
:pPPP

Seriously now. Dunno how there is in other countries but by us IT market seems to grow super fast. Everyone needs a PC, a website, a network. Good for us because we gebin to "rise" on this domain. The issue is that this will never end, at least not in the near future and there will always be something to do in the " IT world".

Greetings

Romania is one of the reasons Western Europe is still in a slump, and the IT sector more so than most.

The cheap labour in the former WarPac nations which are now EU members (removing trade barriers) is causing a massive stream of offshoring to those countries.

Everyone warned this would happen but the politicians thought only of their own personal interests as usual when OK'ing the entry of all those countries...

Totally right!
But.. i must sau that the IT sector is growing very fast and it's getting bigger every day. You should just check how many websites appear ecah day, how many IT stores are and how many good IT people is born each day :)
Not that i agree with "my Romania", cannot say that altough i live in here {what a pitty} the IT world is getting better. I say this because i'm an IT member too and i'm doing the best for our community to grow and to get better. As about politicians, and other stuff in here i can say that it's a total mass and what you say above it totally correct. Let me tell you this: "our american dream" is to flood the Undernet, to get as many Ircbots on a certain channel and to flood as much as possible. Here's a gap between the so called good IT people and the bad ones. Hopefully there are more good guys and they never stop trying to to the best for the IT community. I hope that in the near future we'll have a better reputation.
How we are going to behave in the UE if we manage to get in i don't know. I just hope for the best.

Romania, with its Latin based language, is closer to Western Europe than many would initially believe. Certainly closer than Serbia, Albania, Bosnia, Ukraine, Moldava, Bulgaria, or any of the other nearby countries.

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

In fact, Romanian is closer to Latin than French, for example.

As far as I know, Romanian is very close to Moldavian, and both are close to Latin and Italian, so, from that point, Moldova is not that far from Western Europe, too.

I really don't care :)) All i'm trying to do is to get outta` here :) I'm sick of it.
Back to the IT things, yesterday there was a Microsoft conference and i was there too :) Everything nice, colorfull, 2 mouse clicks and the problem is solved and so on ... a member of the Microsoft team asked who's a linux "person" then i raised my hand and there was another one. 2 persons outta 100 who really user linux. What i mean is that we all know how are prizes when it comes to a Microsoft solutions, though people here in Romania keep on buying and emplementing theese solutions (not that i have something with Microsoft) the ideea is that we can be easily fooled, know what i mean? No matter what it costs, no matter what budget we have it must be nice,
pretty, colorfull and so on. Sometimes we use our butt not our head for thinking. You know everything's fine and nice from the outside, but on the inside's rotten. By the way.. come to Romania :) have a fine beer! :))

Thanks Stella740pl! Did not know that Moldava was also settled by the Romans.

- Steven Wright

Interesting indeed.

"Until 1940, when Moldova was a part of Romania, there was no language called Moldovan: the language spoken in this region was Romanian, but after the USSR occupied this territory, the language was renamed in the attempt to sever all ties with Romania and to justify the occupation. Even the Latin alphabet was changed back to the Cyrillic alphabet."

From

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back