Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autoupdate problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nummus

Technical User
Jul 8, 2001
GB
Hello,

Been having a complete nightmare getting automatic DAT update to work on Netshield v4.5. I have succesfully configured the server to update itself from the nai ftp site, however i want to save the DAT files on the server and then update other machines via a UNC path.

I've set it up in advanced options to save the file for future use and supplied a UNC path, unfortunately when i then go to update now i get the following error "An unknown error occurred while reading from the remote system and the connection was dropped". If i uncheck the save for later use box the upgrade goes through fine.

The above leads me to believe that i either need to save the files in a specific directory or i need some files present in this directory for the files to be saved sucesfully. Cant find any info on this in the documentation so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Are you connecting to the FTP server via a proxy server w/c requires a login? If so, you'll probably encounter this problem. Try having the FTP connection pass over an HTTP proxy. Either that or if you can pipe the username/password combination to the connection.

HTH, AVChap
... my $1 worth of advise, 2cents isn't enough due to inflation

Ok thanks for that,

I've checked with our firewall\proxy people and it doesnt require a password. I can ftp from the server itself to the proxy and then from the proxy out to ftp.nai.com so dont think it is a password issue.

Any further suggestions, i'm trying to save the download to an empty directory at the moment, does it need to have delta and update ini in there to work correctly ?

Thanks for any assistance.

Hi Nummus,

I know this was posted quite a while ago! but could you offer any help to me?. I am trying to get autoupdate working on my 2000 server. I have by passwed my proxy to rule that out and the firewall is set to allow outgoing traffic to the range of ip addresses that NAI use. However, I always get an error in the log saying that I am 'unable to login to the local system'.

Can you offer any help?

Thanks
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back