Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autotext in Word 2000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjane

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
We had to rebuild a user's machine, but were able to image the PC and can get data off the image. OK. I have restored most things, but user is telling me he is missing his autotext entries in Word. I have copied his old normal.dot and this doesn't bring it back. I have checked in Templates directory but cannot find where the autotext enteries were stored. Can you help anyone?. Been searching the net but not found much.

Using - Windows XP Pro and Office 2000 Std.

Check out Microsoft document Q326538
Sounds like you have more than one normal.dot.

Thanks. I copied the normal.dot again, first renaming the old one and it worked.

Thanks Guys...

Carr - Just a point of information...

Autotext is something completely different to Autocorrect (although both link to the Normal.Dot, so the cures would likely be the same). Jonathan Challis
IT Manager

Thank you Carr - I stand corrected...

I use both, but had never twigged that the two are the same. This probably stems from my non-standard usage of Autotext - I use it to store fax/letter templates etc.

Typing fax<F3> is definitely much quicker than loading a template, or File->Save As... Jonathan Challis
IT Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back