Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoRun an .msi file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice24

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
US
I have created an .msi file with Visual Studio 6.0. However, unlike the autorun.inf file used to automatically launch a P&D Wizard .exe. I cannot get the autorun file to launch the .msi file. I get a message "Please go to the control panel to install and configure system components." I thought maybe the .msi file did not contain the proper dependent files or something, but when it is double clicked, it loads perfect. (Have tried it on several machines, same results). So, any ideas on AUTO launching an .msi file from a CD.

Thanks in advance.

Bob,

Thanks for the google tip and the link. There are quite a few sites on the link with multiple issues delt with. It will take me some time to review them and determine if they solve the problem. Although on initial review, it looks as though one of them will. It seems to have solved the problem, but in a different manner then I was attemting. (i.e. Turning an .msi into an .exe) Rather than running the .msi with an autorun file. I appreciate your response, but I think the most helpful part was it told me to take the "blinders off" and step back from the restricted path I was taking to solve the problem. In short, I was googling on too tight a string.

<In short, I was googling on too tight a string.
Well, that could happen to anyone. Better than not googling at all. :)

Good luck,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back