Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoReply works only internally

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldi

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2002
CA
Hello guys,

I have MS Exchange 5.5 server/MS Outlook 2000 Clients and I set the Out of Office assistant to autoreply, but only works internally. Do I have to configure the Exchange server to be able to autoreply exterlly? If so, how do I do that I have been looking all around the server and I have not seen anything that is used for that purpose.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Aldi

Never mind, I found it.

In case anybody wants to know.
Go to IMS properties page and click "Advanced Options" in the "Internet Mail" tab.

Aldi

And the good advice would be .. leave it DISABLED !
Just as Out of Office replies to the internet.
Those option are used by spammers, be cause you will automatically confirm the existence of an email address !!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Hi Marc and thank you for the advise, I think I would have to deliver some bad news to people who wants to use that feature.

Aldi

Tell them better this bad news, than the bad news of being spammed.

Been there.
recently some employees went to another company. the server was set to forward emails automatically. Some bright spark at the new company had done the same (as a couple of users didnt have their new PC's at the time).

An email would come to joe bloggs@here, forward to joe bloggs@there. and yes come bouncing back to joe bloggs@here...

So. time was spent setting up a group with valid email addresses. and only these were forwarded.

Yes, I did want to keep it disabled and deny all knowlege.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back