Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autoreduce 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

imdadathome

Technical User
Dec 3, 2006
GB
Hi everyone, when I was using corel draw 4 there was a function called autoreduce which reduced a large number of nodes to a few nodes but keeping the overall shape of the line. I am now using corel draw 11 and cannot find this useful feature. Is there any way I can get this function in corel 11?
Many thanks in anticipation....D.R.

Autoreduce is not in the help file, which suggests it has either been removed or renamed.

Searching for "reduce nodes" reveals a similar facility at print time, but it doesn't change the design object, only its rendering at print time. It is on the postscript tab, so presumably is not available for inkjet printers.

Corel probably assumes that modern computers have enough resources to handle complex objects without having to reduce them, but that seems to be missing the point. Reducing the number of nodes often makes for a much smoother looking curve.

On a complex object I find I can often select about 3 nodes in every 4 and delete them, without substantially changing the shape of an object but its rather tedious doing it that way and the old autoreduce function would probably achieve the same a lot faster.

Thanks Harry. I am scanning small line drawings and then tracing them with corel trace.These are then imported into corel draw for editing. I often need far less than 10% of the resulting nodes and manual deleting is time consuming and a bit hit and miss as far as the shape of the resulting line is concerned.
There is so much stuff in corel 11, I wonder why they didn't have room for autoreduce. I will try to make contact with corel to see if they will make it available again.
D.R.

Reduce Nodes" appears on the property bar when using the shape tool in X3. So it is still available.

If I recall, it is in the right-click menu on v11 as well. I will check when I get home.

It also integrates some of this functionality directly into Corel Trace as well. Many of the settings for smoothing and detail (v. X3) reduce the node count. It seems I recall v.11 has a series of sliders that allow the detail levels to change, including the number of nodes - based on detail levels. Again, I will check later at home.

Hi everyone,thanks for all the energy. I'm editing old files, so changing trace sttings will only help me with new drawings.
I will look into these!
How do I contact corel about this autoreduce thing? Write a letter..........?
Best...D.R.

You can email Corel for their support page. They are quite good at responding to questions. Takes them a while but they do reply.

The auto reduce is now connected to the eraser tool. With the object selected select the eraser tool, erase close to but to not touch the shape and it will reduce the node automatically. This option can be turned on and off in the Properties Bar option for the eraser.

Thanks for that chris, autoreduce lives on. It will take time to get used to this eraser tool method. Seems a pity you can't select the nodes to reduce directly.
Hi dedotch could you please post this e-mail address for me.
Many thanks....D.R.

Imadatathome
The Auto reduce is still on the Properties bar. Select the Shape tool and some of the nodes. It is the last option on the Properties Bar now called Curve smoothing works the same way the old one did. Sorry I had forgot about this, working in 12 and X3 now.

Go to the Corel web site Corel.com> enter site> online support> knowledge base --- at the top of this page there is a tab for email contact. You must create an user account. Then ask your questions they will respond.

Thanks Scott

Thanks chris this is better than the origional autoreduce because I can reduce to the degree I require. Bye the way how has life improved now you're in 12 and X3?
Hi dedotch thanks for this I will try to contact corel and point out their shortcomings in the help department.
D.R.

[blue]Hi all, thanks to dedotch I found the following in response to e-mailing corel.[/blue]

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Auto Reduce Curve tool in CorelDRAW can be accessed by doing the following:

1. Click Tools | Customization.
2. Select Commands.
3. Click the drop down in the Commands dialog.
4. Choose Select All (Show All Items).
5. Scroll down to Auto-Reduce.
6. Click on the icon and drag it to the Standard toolbar.
7. Click OK.
8. Click Tools | Save Settings as Default.

Note : You must have a series of nodes selected with the Shape tool (The Shape tool lets you edit the shape of objects) in order to use the Auto-Reduce feature.

------------------------------------------------------------

[blue]This works the same as the origional autoreduce, it sometimes reduces too much, leaving the line distorted. However if I smooth it first to a reasonable degree and then finish it off with autoreduce I get a good result.I'm happy now. Thanks all......D.R[/blue]

A fair bit of extra work went into X3 with the reduce nodes. Previous versions had the slider when going into node editing mode but this was quit destructive to the shape if taken too far, the reduce nodes button was reintroduced in X3 (although it could be added see above) along with the slider and between them can significantly reduce nodes without spoiling the original shape.
Alan D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back