Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autoplay not doing selected action 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mungoman

Technical User
May 18, 2006
AU
My XP Home will popup a screen asking for required action when I put a removable ram drive in..but when I put a CD or DVD in it looks like its doing something ( cursor flashes a bit. but nothing results). I've set the autoplay setting in the device manager in My Computer but still I cant get CD or DVD's to do this function.
My PC is an new Intel Duo on an ASUS PCIXpress motherboard.
My friend has the same PC setup and he has the same problem.
I've tried the Microsoft Autofix program but it jsut says all seems Ok but it cant fix the problem (unknown)

What, if any, tweaking programs have you installed, or maybe you upgraded from a system that had them installed?

Try some of these, just disregard the links or suggestions you have already tried.

My Computer, right-click the CD ROM drive, AutoPlay tab, and define the default action for each CD type.

AutoPlay, see Kelly Theriots site for several fixes and tweaks.

Autoplay in Windows XP: Automatically Detect and React to New Devices on a System

330135 - The AutoRun or AutoPlay Feature Does Not Work

320281 - AutoPlay May Not Work After You Insert a "Memory Stick"

307142 - AutoPlay Does Not Automatically Start a Program to Play QuickTime Movie Files

Don't know what's going on.. I replied to this yesterday.. but its not showing.. I'll check this got thru..

Both Pc's are Duo CPU on ASUS PCIXpress Mb. Neither have been tweaked previously and the only thing used so far is the MS Autofix which did enable the action request screen to come up for everything other than optical writable drives, CD or DVD. It tried to fix both a Legacy auto event and a Autoplay V2. event but said either the device is malfunctioning or it could not determine the problem.
When I place a blank writable disk in, the pointer gives a brief "wiggle" then nothing happens.. normally at that poing the action window will appear.
all the actions for these devices has been correcting set to request an action.

Are you running third party burning software, if so which manufacturer?

Are there any firmware updates for the drives?

You could try removing/uninstalling both drives from the Device Manager, rebooting, and allowing Windows to rediscover them.

Is this Service working? If you have turned off the "Shell Hardware Detection" service, this can disable AutoPlay on your CD/DVD drives.

Do you have Vmware installed?...that program disables autoplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back