Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autonumber is not listing in numeric order when data is shown in form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tookieholder

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
US
I need some help on two autonumber issues.
I have a database which has two tables with information that is shown in two seperate forms, one which contains a subform.
One of the forms,"Add IS Procedures",is used to input the data which populates the first table,"tblProcedures". This first table has autonumber as the primary key.
The second form (with subform) enables the user to perform a search by catagory for the information on the table, based on a "functional area".
The subform then shows the "Related Procedures", which pertain to the chosen functional area, listed in numeric order by the autonumber assigned to that issue when it was input in the "tblProcedures" table.
1) First Problem: Everything was working fine in the database until I got to around issue #167 or so (I don't know the exact #). Suddenly, all of the issues I was inputting (anything after 167) were being counted first, so the numbering sequence was something like this:
188, 192, 194, 207, 3, 16, 39, 155
counting 167 to the last issue then starting at 1 and going to 166.
It doesn't affect the usefulness of the database, it just looks weird when you are scrolling through the "Related Procedures" portion of the form, to have it count that way.

2) Second: Within those same tables and forms, when working with the "Add IS Procedures" form, when I open that form and use the record arrow buttons to move to the "last" issue, it seems to go to a random # but always in the 160's.
I have over 260 issues so far, so that is definately NOT the last entry. This issue is probably linked to the first issue above, but I don't know enough about Access to know how to solve it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Tookieholder

Is there a sort on the form record source? For example, is the source a query with an order by clause on a column other than the ID? Did someone order the table on a differnt column and save it that way. If so, that will be the default order when the table is next opened. Right click the table and remove sorting and filtering. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions in the SQL Server forum. Many of the ideas apply to all forums.

Terry-
Thanks for the reply. I checked the various form properties, and there was no filtering or sorting set up. I have been the only one working on this database so far, and to my knowledge I have always saved the data as listed on the tables, in order by autonumber.
I could easily have messed it up somehow, but I can't see anything out of order.
Help!
Thanks
Tookieholder

Open the table, right click it and select Remove filter/sort from the menu. If any sorting exists, it will be removed. You can do the same oon a form. If these fixes don't work, then I'm not sure what could be causing the different ordering of the records. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions in the SQL Server forum. Many of the ideas apply to all forums.

Thanks for your help.
When I checked, there was no sorting set up within the table.
I wound up with a round-about solution. I copied the table, changed the primary ID column name and number to just a "number", created a new ID column with the same name as the primary key column and made it autonumber, then deleted the old column. It works fine now. (I must have some how corrupted the original autonumber column.)
I appreciate your responses on this!
Have a great one!
Tookieholder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back