Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autonumber Field fails during text Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

porterboy

MIS
Jul 14, 2003
US
I'm trying to import a text file into a table with the first columnd setup as an autonumber called "ID" int Identity yes (1,1). When I try and import text data (I do not import the ID field) the import fails indicating that the ID field is a required field and cannot be Null. Any suggestions?

Sure, do the import then add the autonumber column.

Thats not an option. This will eventually be an automated process that will take place daily however I think I may have found the answer. When doing the import in the transformation option "Enable identity insert" was enabled. According to the help by enabling this option and setting import on "ID" to ignore it forces the value to be NULL. This in ture tries to mane a required field (ID) null. When I disabled the option the import worked. Thanks for your help anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back